WWII USMC Dog Handler Uniform

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've been on the forum, and I hope to be back on a more regular basis in the future, but I was curious about getting some information and opinions on this as I've never seen a genuine USMC Dog Handler uniform before (plus I'm a little rusty as I haven't been focusing on collecting for some time). Link is below but images are also attached in case the listing is removed. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCARCE-1942-US-MARINE-DOG-COMPANY-UNIFORM-JACKET-AUSTRALIAN-MADE-FMF-PAC-USMC-/233614043780?fbclid=IwAR2X4Gp1_ZuQzJInywqMop1xJpL7chu5QHbapTfxabxZXMde_dWwnUxkMkg&nma=true&si=hTAJZWGo5%2BTSZ8oa%2BCOM%2FmKig4E%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Claims this is an "Australian made" USMC tunic and that the D M Sather stamp is that of an Australian tailor, but I cannot find any source for that. I would assume that is actually the name of the Marine?

I have my doubts about this uniform as I've been to the sellers store years ago and saw several humped up/put together uniforms being sold as originals. 

Thanks. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I believe you are correct that it was put together. I could not find a D M Sather that I could find that had any job relating to dogs. One was with the 1st Marine Air wing and the other was with the 17th AAA bn. It is possible this belonged to the Donald Sather of the 17th AAA and had the Pac artillery patch switched to dog handler because they would have the same outline. 

donation2019.gif

The blouse appears to be standard issue US made blouse, and name stamped inside is to the Marine who wore it, not a tailor.

Steve

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

21 hours ago, Ray42 said:

I believe you are correct that it was put together. I could not find a D M Sather that I could find that had any job relating to dogs. One was with the 1st Marine Air wing and the other was with the 17th AAA bn. It is possible this belonged to the Donald Sather of the 17th AAA and had the Pac artillery patch switched to dog handler because they would have the same outline. 

Yes I found the same information about Sather when I was searching through Ancestry when this jacket came upon Ebay recently.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif