Shield badge A.A.Thompson 11th ILL. Inf.

skypilot6670

This sterling shield badge has crossed sabers (odd insignia for an infantry unit) and reads , A.A.Thompson Adjutant of 11th Ills. Inft. Alonzo Thompson (Thomson) enlisted on Dec. 12 , 1862 rose thru the ranks to Sargent Major and ultimately to Adjutant , mustering out at Baton Rouge on July 14, 1865.  
      The 11th was a great western theater unit seeing action from Columbus Ky. (Grant was very nearly killed or captured here ) in early 1862 to the surrender of Mobile in 1865.  Participating in the Battle of Shiloh , the Vicksburg Campaign and many other engagements.  
       Western Unit Badges are rare , they turn up for units that transferred from the Eastern Theater but not as much from strictly Western Theater units.  This is a  nice wartime shield badge. I’ve been reading , “Grant “ by Ron Chernow , I’am really enjoying it and recommend it. As I think of Grant as a western theater soldier.  I thought this badge a good way to recommend the book. 

6DC5F54D-E792-41A2-BF32-87EF52C4BBE5.jpeg.786b7bf086e191e2a290dbd5d7f3391f.jpeg

wartimecollectables.com

Excellent, thanks for sharing. No family in the 11th but most of my kin were Illinois boys.

USCapturephotos

Another wonderful badge Mike! I would love to see all of your badges and Id discs together. Thanks for showing it with us in the forum.

Paul

skypilot6670
1 hour ago, USCapturephotos said:

Another wonderful badge Mike! I would love to see all of your badges and Id discs together. Thanks for showing it with us in the forum.

Paul

Mike Irish and Paul thanks for the comments , here is a couple of photos Paul.   Thanks again guys Mike48F44850-2F46-4FA0-BC1F-0685B1550E1B.jpeg.a66eb71bf3900a753bad5d165fc6abd4.jpegEECA9670-94E0-4840-881E-D85AB8F07251.jpeg.b5581261b94979bdf7b16dd934b1acdd.jpeg

skypilot6670

Well it’s my time to eat some crow. I keep a written list of badges that I have posted here. I got it out to add Alonzo Thompson so I wouldn’t make repeat post on the forum. Well at the top of my list I see Alonzo already listed. Not only that but I made a mistake in my initial post , showing him at the battle of Belmont (Columbus Ky) when he was not in the service yet. Honest mistake but an error just the same.    Crow meat ain’t bad , long as you’re hungry.   Thanks Mike

wartimecollectables.com
27 minutes ago, skypilot6670 said:

Well it’s my time to eat some crow. I keep a written list of badges that I have posted here. I got it out to add Alonzo Thompson so I wouldn’t make repeat post on the forum. Well at the top of my list I see Alonzo already listed. Not only that but I made a mistake in my initial post , showing him at the battle of Belmont (Columbus Ky) when he was not in the service yet. Honest mistake but an error just the same.    Crow meat ain’t bad , long as you’re hungry.   Thanks Mike

LoL! If have to be starving!  But remember, my birthday is in November! I see several that would look great on my shelf!

M24 Chaffee

Great badge and badges! You can almost see all of the individual badge histories floating around the group photos! 

Frank

skypilot6670

Thanks for the kind words Frank and Beerdragon54.  Each one has a story to tell .  I’ve pulled their service  and pension files , as you can see in the photo The pieces run the gamut from hero to deserter all are part of the bigger history of the war.  Thanks again Fraternally Yours Mikeimage.jpg.0afce20b9578fc8ab5f24f0990aec22b.jpg