Interesting Chevron on a II Corps 4 Pocket

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello everyone,

I didn't get this one, didn't end up bidding, but wanted to post because of the interesting pair of chevrons on this II Corps 4 Pocket. They look almost like the 1952 pattern Chevrons you use on Korean War era uniforms, but I'm pretty sure its actually a WW2 chevron. Looks like it may just be the light, or the backing is faded to blue, but interesting for sure. I have seen this similar type of chevron on a few other WW2 uniforms in the past. All have the faded blue backing that make it look like the Korean War era chevron. The coat looks all original to me though.

Would like to hear some more thoughts/opinions on this. And if anyone knows definitively the era of this chevron let me know.

Hunt

605111819_2ndcorpsweirdchevron1.jpg.b773a22fbd038d012a252934828c6b0b.jpg

1521167504_secondcorpsweirdchevron2.jpg.5b749ba16e079071abd814980deed824.jpg

205804979_SecondCorpsweirdchevron3.jpg.7b7c2a8e9a3fbd8b44d7f3b267c56e82.jpg

+1 I’m pretty sure they are called 46 pattern, you do see them on jackets to guys who served in WW2 but stayed in. 

These chevrons actually came in after the small sized "Atomic Army" chevrons and were worn from 53 to 57 until the AG44 chevrons came on line. Someone has added these to a WWII 4 pocket blouse.

Is the II Corps patch a merrowed edge example?

Allan 

huntssurplus

Thanks for the comments everybody.

So I guess i'm wrong then! Darn, learn something new everyday. I had a gut feeling there was something not right about these chevrons, glad I could clear it up. I'll post a picture of a similar chevron on another WW2 uniform with that blue backing below, but first a few questions on this one.

Allan mentions these were after the small sized chevrons seen in the interwar years after WW2 and before Korea, but that they were used before the AG44 chevrons. Is this a third chevron pattern between WW2 chevrons and AG44 pattern chevrons, or am I mistaken on the "1952 pattern" chevron I mentioned in my original post? Below is an example, from the same seller of the II corps of the "1952 pattern" chevrons I mentioned on a 47th Division Ike Jacket. 

2031508738_Chevronaforemented.jpg.cd68165162f0e3134a104292578f6ac5.jpg

They look to be different patterns as you can see more of a velvet blue backing on these chevrons opposed to a more washed out chevrons on the II corps tunic. Perhaps the II corps chevrons are just washed out? 

As for Allans question on is the II corps merrowed edge, I cannot tell. It might be, but from the photos I'm not entirely sure. Not the best angle.

Below are the similar looking chevrons I mentioned before. This jacket is straight from the family, although not in my collection it was offered to me, but I have no doubt it is original.

1829845415_InterestingChevron1.jpg.bf1bde6fb1b5c999a6b23591e8173247.jpg

Note the similar blue backing, although this one has a much more felt/fuzzy looking background. It may just be the lighting affecting a black background, but it does seem to give off a blue hue.

Does anyone have a reference to all of the known WW2 chevron variations? 

Hunt

huntssurplus

it may just be the light/my eyes deceiving me, but it looks like there are three different chevron variations? 

Captainofthe7th

The II Corps uniform and 47th Div posted are the same type of chevron, the M1951 (OD embroidered on blue twill).  These replaced the M1948 small combat/non-combatant types.  Incorrect on the II Corps and probably original to the 47th though it's likely those ribbons are added.

The other type you posted on the Tenth Army is an odd variant that pops up, frequently on PTO uniforms, sometimes on ETO, that from here appears to be the green embroidered on green felt.  They're kind of mysterious.  I believe they are US produced and have not found an explanation for the color.

Rob

huntssurplus
4 hours ago, Captainofthe7th said:

The II Corps uniform and 47th Div posted are the same type of chevron, the M1951 (OD embroidered on blue twill).  These replaced the M1948 small combat/non-combatant types.  Incorrect on the II Corps and probably original to the 47th though it's likely those ribbons are added.

The other type you posted on the Tenth Army is an odd variant that pops up, frequently on PTO uniforms, sometimes on ETO, that from here appears to be the green embroidered on green felt.  They're kind of mysterious.  I believe they are US produced and have not found an explanation for the color.

Rob

Thanks for the info Rob! So the II Corps Chevrons are the the Korean War era chevrons (the ones I mistakenly referred to as "1952 pattern") On the II Corps uniform do you think they look faded at all? I agree that they are the same variant now, but it seems as if the ones of the 47th ID uniform are much more vibrant in color--maybe I'm just reading too much into it. 

Hunt

Captainofthe7th
15 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

Thanks for the info Rob! So the II Corps Chevrons are the the Korean War era chevrons (the ones I mistakenly referred to as "1952 pattern") On the II Corps uniform do you think they look faded at all? I agree that they are the same variant now, but it seems as if the ones of the 47th ID uniform are much more vibrant in color--maybe I'm just reading too much into it. 

Hunt

Yes it looks like they're faded or ironed a lot on a shirt or fatigue uniform.  

Rob