Clipped wings 2nd copy Let the buyer beware.

The Rooster

The Rooster

Greetings all.

As you may have noticed in my previous recent post about the book clipped wings, I was questioning the signature.

Its possible his signature changed over time... any how I have no solid way to prove its authenticity.

However in looking at my two copies, I noticed something. Something that may be very useful to future persons interested in

purchasing a copy of this fine book.

There is a first edition printing and a second edition printing and as others have stated the reprints are not

labeled as such. I have two copies here and thought this may be informative and I hope one of our experts on these matters will confirm my theory or at least point us in the correct direction.

I have 2 copies the first one I picked up last year. Its in real good condition. Its also more of a blue color on the cover than the most recent copy I picked up. The blue looking one also has a different pattern in the cover. You can see they are not the same. Also notice how yellow the most recent aquisition is along with its curved spine as opposed to the blue ones straight spine and non yellowed paper. Compare the photos. And also the photo of Colonel Goodrich. The one thats soft and fuzzy looking is the blue cobvered pristine one. The yellowed one is sharp and crisp. Therefore, in my estimation,  did get clipped....last year I bought a reprint spold to me as a first edition.

The most recent copy with the signatures, I am now confident is the first edition example.

I hope if I am correct that this helps people from mistakenly purchasing a second edition copy when they thought they were buying a first edition. Someone please look at this and confirm or not whether the blue one or the black one is first edition. I think its the black one.

Thank you.

DSCF2719.JPG

DSCF2720.JPG

DSCF2721.JPG

The Rooster

more pics. my pics arent the greatest but in hand the yellowed copy is much noticeably sharper. (First Edition my guess)

DSCF2722.JPG

DSCF2723.JPG

DSCF2724.JPG

DSCF2725.JPG

DSCF2726.JPG

The Rooster

Also everything about the blue tinted covered book is soft compared t the black covered book.

Heres a real good tell, even if you were color blind you could spot the difference.

On the Black covered book........ even the Clipped wing on the cover is crisper with much more detail compared to the blue covered book.

The blue clean one has got to be the second edition INMHO.

If I was going to buy another copy of this book, at some point, I'd ask the seller to please send a picture of the wing on the front cover.

I think I did good on the black one the most recent one, and got "Clipped" last year on the one I bought.

Because the seller swore it was first edition and I paid more for it than the recent black covered one.

DSCF2731.JPG

DSCF2732.JPG

There are 2 printings of this book and it can be hard to tell them apart. The original and a modern reprint.

The old printing has the dark cover with a more rough texture.

The newer printing is lighter in color with a softer texture.

Kurt

The Rooster

Thank you Kurt. I was hoping you would weigh in. I thought my first copy did not look so blue.....

I really considered it almost black.... unitil I picked up this most recent one. I could and can really see the difference in hand

and the pictures you find are hard to tell what you have. Hopefully this will help folks out who want a first edition.

Thank you ! Its like medals and ings. and coins. The first editins are crisp and by the time this second edition was printed... the plates were worn down or a different process was used etc. The first edition is much sharper and detailed in its printing.

Dave

The Rooster

Looking at the Colonels eyes.. You can see that one highlight is missing in his right eye in the whiter copy and its there in the yellowed copy.

A lot of the fine detail in the printing of the first edition is just not there in the second edition.

• 1 month later...

I am William C Epps' daughter - Cindy Epps.  You did not get clipped - one signature is my father's and one signature is my grandmother's - she was not signing his name but writing it above his address on Dickerson Road.  

There are things in your post that myself or my brother have never seen.  Is getting the book Clipped Wings worth trying to find?  Any information on my father you have would be wonderful - he did not talk about the war very much.   

Thank you!   

The Rooster
9 hours ago, Cindy Epps said:

I am William C Epps' daughter - Cindy Epps.  You did not get clipped - one signature is my father's and one signature is my grandmother's - she was not signing his name but writing it above his address on Dickerson Road.  

There are things in your post that myself or my brother have never seen.  Is getting the book Clipped Wings worth trying to find?  Any information on my father you have would be wonderful - he did not talk about the war very much.   

Thank you!   

Hello Cindy... PM has been sent to you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 11:13 AM, Cindy Epps said:

Thank you!   

This copy of Clipped Wings Once owned by P.O.W. William Epps, has been reunited with Mr Epps Daughter Cindy. And her Brother.

• 2 weeks later...
Old Crow 1986
On 8/18/2020 at 12:10 AM, The Rooster said:

This copy of Clipped Wings Once owned by P.O.W. William Epps, has been reunited with Mr Epps Daughter Cindy. And her Brother.

Nicely done!

Collectors don't do things like that.

Caretakers do things like that.

Thank you guys. I would not be telling the truth if I did not admit

that I wanted to keep it. But in the long run, right is right.

I'm glad it made its way back to the family.

Cheers !

12 hours ago, Cindy Epps said:

My brother is reading the book now.   Thank you again fir letting me have it!   Cindy

Glad to see it back with you and your family.

It is fitting and I know you and your Brother will enjoy

and cherish it.

Also I recommend the book

"Sitting it out"

By David Westheimer.

He was in the same camp as your Dad and it is an excellent account of life as a POW.

Your Dad went through what Mr Westheimer describes in his book.

Cheers !

Dave