LCVP (Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel

Lanyard

Here is a model of the LCVP ferrying 25 Army troops to the beachhead.  Fitting all the troops into a very restricted space proved to be a challenge.  I made a template of the floor space, covered that template in double-sided tape, and placed each troop into place.  Once I saw they would indeed fit if I were very careful, I then super glued each soldier into the vessel.  In the end it all worked out well.

Boat1.jpg.2b86ba110b6c0b6f7d607c50a8e0f1f9.jpgBoat2.jpg.9a6d5f323a0f6f1cb79665af8d406e50.jpgBoat3.jpg.3989ebf3d2813ee833490cabbc670fe6.jpgBoat4.jpg.ac75758cb21b6848ed1b93d13240ebf6.jpgBoat5.jpg.7e0d0b4e8901fe892f0ef51ed4730102.jpgBoat6.jpg.9647c7d1e86403387d6eaa4bd8124109.jpg

Very nice.  One suggestion.  This appears to be a "Normandy" boat.  The boat crew would be wearing either the dark blue winter jacket, or the OD7 N-1 winter jacket.  In reality, they would probably also be wearing the N-2 Rain jacket to keep the water off but I know figures aren't made with the rain parka/jacket.  The light blue you have is good for their chambray shirt, but as cold and wet as it was, they'd be wearing some foul weather gear.  But excellent job.  What model kit is the LCVP?

Italerie made this LCVP which comes with the 3 sailors and the 25 Army troops.

What little information I could find on the internet showed sailors with similar uniforms so I went with that information.

You did a very nice job on this LCVP. I like the weathering and putting 25 soldiers in the troop well came out perfect. I guess he's headed for Green Beach, Dog Sector of Omaha Beach?

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

I can only second what the others have already said: a superb build. Beside the figures I really like the painting and weathering of the vessel. Well done, would like to see more of your work! Are you thinking about a water dio for the LCVP?

• 2 weeks later...

At some point I may find a suitable-sized plaque upon which I will simulate water and waves under and around the vessel.  It will be something new for me.

On 7/4/2020 at 7:38 PM, Lanyard said:

At some point I may find a suitable-sized plaque upon which I will simulate water and waves under and around the vessel.  It will be something new for me.

It CAN be done. 

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 1 month later...

Here is the LCVP  but in 1/72nd scale.  It was a much faster build than the 1/35th scale version, however it does present the essential details of the LCVP.

I could not find any decent 1/7nd scale soldiers or jeeps to add to the vessel so it is shown sitting on a brace made from wood beams1669958106_LCVP172d.jpg.47100852646e42d507850fe4a6596c98.jpg1224098083_LCVP172e.jpg.36b2cc3a0cc3906e6c1a363d0059e361.jpg2049928935_LCVP172f.jpg.ddfe18d7f2bbab469090c4c69bf80e86.jpg,   prepared to undergo serious maintenance.

Fantastic work! I can hardly fathom the terror those men felt on that fateful day. I deployed to Iraq on three separate occasions and I highly doubt my anxiety ever came close to what they experienced. Thank you for making this piece. It's a great way to visualize what that moment was like. 

I wish that I had seen this model earlier, as it is really cool! I can imagine that painting the figures would be a daunting task. Getting them all into place in the boat would be every bit as difficult. My two observations for you would be to ensure that the uniforms and equipment are the right colors. Know that  even among a single squad, there would be color and shading variations. As an example, the gas mask carrier worn on the chest by the soldiers would have been black in color with OD chemical markings. Assault vests would have been any shade between tan to a medium olive color. The sailors have already been mentioned as the vibrant blue color would be a bit out of place. The casts look thick enough that the dark blue deck jacket or the OD waterproof pull over jackets would give you the right amount of bulk. If you are going to stick to a chambray shirt for the sailors, they are a much more muted tone, especially after being washed and sun bleached.

Please do not take my critiques and nitpicking. I am impressed with your work and am only making suggestions that I believe would make the vignette that much more realistic.

Allan

Excellent 1/72 built. You mentioned the figures. I remember an AIRFIX 1/72 scale "D-Day Assault Set". Another interesting 1/72 U.S. D-Day figure set I`m aware of is from PEGASUS I think.