Shoot/don't shoot Low Number '03

roysclockgun

roysclockgun

Disclaimer: I am not encouraging anyone to fire any firearm. Have your firearms inspected and make your own decisions whether to live fire, or not!

I have been around firearms all my life. My dad took me small game hunting and we both enjoyed shooting groundhogs with our rifles. Dad had a  Winchester Model 70 in 220Swift that he had to wait for when Winchester got back into making hunting rifles, following the lay off during WWII. I shot a Remington in 222Rem. 

When I first saw US Model 1903 Rifles on pawn shop racks, they were $12. Over the years, I bought and fired a number of them and then, when I wanted to try something else, I would put them for sale in the Sunday Baltimore Sunpaper classified ads and usually had them sold as soon as the Bull Dog addition came out Saturday evening. 

I mostly shot them using surplus M2 Ball ammo, but for deer hunting, I hand loaded and upped the loads to get higher muzzle velocity. 

I did not have any failures. The overall numbers of failures shown for US Model 1903 Rifles is very low and most of them are from loading the wrong cartridges. 

The USMC never did turn in their so called "low number" '03 Rifles and carried some of them through WWII. 

Again, everyone should make their own decisions, regarding what rifle they shoulder and fire, but for me, I will continue shooting my M1903 rifles. 

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

.....I know this is an older topic. Something of interest to note regarding early number 03 Springfields. A few of my buddies along with myself at our local club have 189x Krag rifles. In researching these, the Krag was built using the same heat treating methods as the 03 Springfield. I'm in no way saying that caution with an old Springfield isn't prudent. I've also seen numerous articles giving some blame to poor standards regarding ammunition in the Great War. Then in the later tests the Army used overcharged loads to stress the weapons. My point being, I've never heard any of the critics urging any caution regarding shooting old Krags. As someone that hopes to add an 03 Springfield to my arsenal.  Our club has classes to shoot the weapons of the Indian Wars, Span Am war and up to the Mexican Punative expedition. With the low pressure loads we build, I'd have no qualms shooting a low number Springfield. I also shoot an original 1873 Trapdoor. 

Comparing a 40kpsi rimmed head round to a 50k+psi rimless round is not equal.  The Krag was strong enough for the round it fired and the 1903 was too UNTIL something went wrong.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:13 PM, Rhscott said:

Comparing a 40kpsi rimmed head round to a 50k+psi rimless round is not equal.  The Krag was strong enough for the round it fired and the 1903 was too UNTIL something went wrong.

.....point well taken. I guess I wouldn't advocate it for anyone else. With the characteristics of modern brass and the ability to build low pressure loads. If I came across a functional 1903 in good condition, the low number would not bother me to shoot.  Now, if my only choice were off the shelf modern ammo,  no way!  As yet, I haven't found that 03 Springfield I want.  Hanging around old gunsmiths and old guns skews my view somewhat. 

There's more to consider than just the action on these low numbers, I've got a RIA April 1912 production with the original stock which has no stock lugs but just the two brads or pin inserts.  It has a crack projecting from the tang due to shooting I'm sure, not bad but wouldn't want to shoot it and enlarge this crack.  I know we can load down, but I also know that there's plenty of 03's out there to be had for shooting.

As gomorgan said, there is more to think about when shooting low serial number 03's. If the gun is in orginalish condition, with early parts, and what not, why chance damaging it or wearing them out. However, shooting rebuild 03's built on low serial number receivers aren't the end of the world.

Keep in mind the ammo you use, GI ball ammo is tame compared to modern 3006. If reloading stick to the starting suggested load from Hogdon or some reloading books.  Watch for pressure signs, (IE blown primers, flat primers ect.)

Careful with brass lots, try to use the same brass once you have a good load. Remington Brass vs say Lake City for example can have different wall thickness which can affect pressure. You maybe able to get away with a higher maximum load in the thinned walled Remington compared to the Lake city. 

One more thing, careful if you decide to go under the the minimum load, you can have a squib round. Which is enough to cause a bad day.....

Just an example of a 3006 load:

Screenshot 2021-11-16 222432.png