M1 Garand Bandoleers

Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

I was wondering if someone could help me to determine if these M1 Garand bandoleers are WWII or Post WWII Korean War?  Many thanks!

Alderfer Auction 6-20 (11).JPG

1st and 3rd seem to be wartime, #2 looks Korean vintage or real late WW2.  #4 seems to be prewar clipped for the 1903 and using the M1 ball vs M2 ball of WW2

All are post war, some even later then Korea. Color/ Style not WW2. Search posts,  I posted many examples and a lot number chart. All pictured ammo lot numbers very high numbered. Your one example, LC 42669, way, way , way post Korea, eg, lot number LC 13,700 was a 1952 manufacture date. ..making your lot number 42669 very late 50's most likely 60's.

Panzerfaust
3 minutes ago, 917601 said:

All are post war, some even later then Korea. Color/ Style not WW2. Search posts,  I posted many examples and a lot number chart. All pictured ammo lot numbers very high numbered. Your one example, LC 42669, way, way , way post Korea, eg, lot number LC 13,700 was a 1952 manufacture date. ..making your lot number 42669 very late 50's most likely 60's.

Hello Sir,

Thank you both for your comments.  Do you have a link to the ammo lot numbers? 

Here is an ammo lot number chart, indicating dates of non corrosive primed ammo. It would help if you supplied better pictures of the lot numbers. All appear to be the common, CMP issued late 50s/60's surplus stuff. Do remember, inked M2 bandoleers came late war and AFTER the WW2 unmarked bandoleers as they all had  lot cards. Again, much here , do a search.image.jpeg.23fdc33050d12437c3c66aa477b2bf1c.jpeg

I have a few unopened 1943 dated crates somewhere, I opened one up not long ago and traded a few of the pristine bandoleers with lot cards for a BUNCH of TW 54 black tip AP from a gentleman who just HAD to have a few of them...I have a few left somewhere, I will post pics of them if I can find them.

Sometimes on the back of these bandoleers you can find a maker/date. This example is NATO but maybe the .30 cals might too?

US_Cartridge_Bandoleer_7.62_1960.jpg

3 hours ago, collector said:

Sometimes on the back of these bandoleers you can find a maker/date. This example is NATO but maybe the .30 cals might too?

US_Cartridge_Bandoleer_7.62_1960.jpg

Yours is for .308. WW2 30.06 are Nomemclatured " .30 cal, M2, - ball, AP, Tracer", etc. Yours, marked Tweedie, is the bandoleer manufactured date and the bandoleers were often reused so it does not necessarily reflect ammo date. I do have some examples of reused bandoleers, the ammo lot info  is " X'd" out in ink over stamping. Your ammunition data "NATO 7.62...." Is the ammo type .308 (M80 ball),  manufacturer ( Lake City), packaging (in 5 Rd clips ) and lot number of ammo ( # 12047), you need charts to decode it to date. 

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have WW2 vintage Ball and AP bandoleers as well, was posting the NATO one to show the date, which I was not sure might be on the earlier post ww2 M2 bandoleers. Have never seen or heard of the X'ed ones, interesting!  The newer post ww2 bandoleers ( I have several) are ones we scrounged as kids on the bases. Funny, don't have anything in-between.

Love your ammo collection, I have some nice items, but nothing like the depth of yours!! Like the wooden crates too.

On June 24, 2020 at 10:18 PM, 917601 said:

I have a few unopened 1943 dated crates somewhere, I opened one up not long ago and traded a few of the pristine bandoleers with lot cards for a BUNCH of TW 54 black tip AP from a gentleman who just HAD to have a few of them...I have a few left somewhere, I will post pics of them if I can find them.

Here is WW2 issue bandoleers/ammo, notice the color and strap width and purple lot cards ( no ink stamps on the bandoleers) issued along with a safety pin attached to all bandoleers. This is DEN 1943 M2 Ball issued in 5 Rd clips repacked into Korean War cans. image.jpeg.6d6798c6aa686b0c7173444cfc6923c2.jpegimage.jpeg.8af5de9cd0d028f7a9085557bccefbdd.jpeg

Panzerfaust

Thanks guys!  I did find a good amount of dates on the back of the bandoleers and most are around the Korean War.  One is dated "68"  I should have looked them over carefully and would have answered my own question!  😒