New to me Colt M1917

speeder3

A Colt M1917 revolver has been at the top of my 'want' list for quite some time.  As luck would have it, one recently popped up for sale in my arms collectors newsletter for a price that I could not pass up.  From the Colt Forum, I was able to learn that my revolver was shipped on April 28, 1918 to the C.O. of Springfield Armory.  It likely did not go overseas, as its original "brushed" blue finish speaks of life stateside by folks who took pretty good care of it.  Now to get a bunch of half-moon clips.  I need to fill up that three-pocket ammo pouch!  I also need to collect an original box of ammo in clips to complete my display.  Thank for looking.

Brian

Group_002.jpg

Detail_012.jpg

Detail_009.jpg

Super neat and the pistol looks to be in wonderful shape.  In fact, so does the accompanying material.  You made a good decision to pick that one up for sure.  Congrats!

Don’t be so certain it didn’t make it overseas. I once owned an M1917 S&W that I bought from the family of the doughboy that was in excellent condition. I had owned for quite a while before I removed the grips and discovered he had written his name, rank, and unit inside one of them.

Steve

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments!  I'm very happy to be able to share this small bit of history!

Spathologist

Nice acquisition!  Those New Service revolvers are nice sidearms.

The boxes of ammo intended for the revolvers was different from those intended for the M1911.DSC04037.jpg.d15a90a7f838d860b6ca7c7d3b7ccdc8.jpg

silverplate

During WWI, the 24 round "M1911 in clips" ammo boxes were supplied by Remington, Winchester, Peters, and U.S. Cartridge Co. Great display pieces if you can find them.

In the early 20s, to support the existing inventory of M1917 revolvers, Frankford Arsenal repacked a quantity of .45 ACP rounds in their standard 20 round box, and included 7 loose clips inside. The box is quite scarce, and could be missed if the top label isn't visible. There seems to have been only one lot made.

During WW2, the half moon clips were made in quantity for use with the "old" revolvers still in service, but no ammo was specifically packed with clips.

20 RD Clips.jpg