current 509th Geronimo on eBay June 2020

ocsfollowme

Could be wrong but the bullion looks correct and the stitching on the back looks good. Big question is the backing material which is not typical color. Now at 1650

Construction looks Italian and as it should be, I think it’s good but I’m not expert. Should bring much more than what it’s at now. 

I like the patch posted by OCS, but I REALLY like the second patch better. The funny thing is that they are both made the exact same way, but the backings are different, as is the base thread. I would agree that both patches are classic, Italian-made pieces. The only thing that I find the least bit unusual is that the "Geronimo" at the bottom of the patch is only done with single strand bullion. That isn't the norm, but there are undoubtedly original examples of the 509th's "Parachute" tab done with the same single strand bullion.

I think the simple lettering was just the maker's decision to make the patch that way. It isn't unfinished.

Allan

I wasn't sure if everyone was aware that the seller of this patch had another one of these patches for sale with a different color cloth backing material but the listing ended so the seller must have accepted an offer from someone to pull it off of eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-WWII-WWI-Army-509th-Parachute-Infantry-Geronimo-Para-Pocket-Patch-Rare-1-/383592870222?nordt=true&nma=true&si=Yr0EL%2B54pAS2uahn4U7i507J7w8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600 (22).jpg

s-l1600 (21).jpg

ocsfollowme

tonomachi is correct. The seller had listed two. The first one was ended when a buyer made an offer for $3295. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-WWII-WWI-Army-509th-Parachute-Infantry-Geronimo-Para-Pocket-Patch-Rare-1-/373087551237?hash=item56ddc03f05%3Ag%3AHz8AAOSwkhpe6Q9w&nma=true&si=6BmZrnfaemmWmH3CRTB8PLm52S4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

When I first started this thread I did not see the 1st patch that sold, though the 2nd one had "2 of 2" in the name so I figured there was another one of some kind. 

Both do look italian made and the reverse look like they should. It's the Geronimo that has me stumped. 

Remember when the one from the amazing red cross coat went for sale around $6500? 

The red back is the one most would feel most comfortable with. I did not see that first listing and the sale price was a good retail price. The plain back which is the one under discussion without knowing it was part of the lot of two gave some to pause ,to be not sure if it was good. Joe is right someone got a nice buy and saved $1000. Steve, I think that Red Cross coat had a 551 on it also.

collectsmedals

My father was in the 509 in WWII and I have one of his original patches. The thing that seems odd about this one is the "hands" on the edges of the door are built up off the edging and not off the arms. All of the ones I have seen the "hands" were created by widening the arms. Please note, I am not an expert on these patches, its just something I noticed that seems different.

They both are real but the red brick one is more the norm.I would not hesitate to buy either at a dealer price.Scotty