A.E.F. trunk named to Lt. Wellington Rupp

speeder3

The owner of my local antique store called me awhile back to let me know he had this trunk.  I didn't know I needed to have it until my wife saw it yesterday and said that her mother's maiden name is the same as on the trunk, so he might have been a relative.  So we brought it home.  From fold3.com I've learned that 1st Lt. (George) Wellington Rupp, of HQ Company, was born 5 May 1895 in Aurora, Illinois.  He lived in Seattle, WA at the time of his enlistment, and departed from New York for France on 25 Sept. 1917.  He then returned from Brest, France to the U.S. on 3 Aug. 1919.  There are some photos of him via Ancestry.com, but I don't belong to that site.  I would like to know more about him, though, if anyone can provide anything further that would be awesome.  I'd also like to know what language is the newspaper glued to the inside bottom of the truck.

On a side note, after posting these photos to the A.E.F. Collector's Facebook page, I got a reply stating that a member of this forum has/had Lt. Wellington's dog tags.  The poster showed  a screen shot of a post by "tigerfan" that was dated 2010, showing a close-up photo of the tag.

Thanks for looking, and a Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there.  

Footlocker_001.jpg

Footlocker_002.jpg

Footlocker_004.jpg

Footlocker_003.jpg

Footlocker_005.jpg

Footlocker_006.jpg

This appears to be Armenian script....a speaker friend translated a few words to read "Stockholm" "London", "end of the war" and "treaty" . Also speaks of territory the expected to get back after the war.  I wonder  if he had Mid East time or his spouse was of Armenian ethnicity. Or he picked this up from an Armenian community in France. 

IMG_4279.JPG