Unknown Navy/Marine Corps Squadron ? | WWII

walika

Here's a wonderfully executed WWII-era bullion insignia, likely an unknown Navy or Marine Corps composite, observation or patrol squadron. Any thoughts?

Theater-made. Embroidered cotton with bullion.

spacer.png

ocsfollowme

I think Bill scott asked for you on this forum for this image two years ago and I tried and tried and came up with nothing.

Johnny Signor

I have had this image also for quite some time and have yet to find an ID to it ,  AAuughhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rick, I've seen a couple of these over many years of collecting and like Johnny, I've yet to positively ID it. I suspect it is a black cat patrol squadron and I think the patch looks like it should be oriented at a 45 degree angle down to the left. If I remember correctly, I've seen one that was sold with some PBY and sailor photos a while back. Jeffro

42 minutes ago, Jeffro said:

Rick, I've seen a couple of these over many years of collecting and like Johnny, I've yet to positively ID it. I suspect it is a black cat patrol squadron and I think the patch looks like it should be oriented at a 45 degree angle down to the left. If I remember correctly, I've seen one that was sold with some PBY and sailor photos a while back. Jeffro

Hi Jeffro,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I agree it is likely a Black Cat navy patrol squadron. Originally I was preparing the post with the patch oriented 45 degrees counterclockwise, as you suggest, when It occurred to me that the shape of the patch suggests an eye so I left it horizontal. Hopefully one day soon it can be identified and we might then know.

Best Regards,

Rick