Sam Nesmith Collection eBay Dealer? epicartifacts1

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I started a thread asking about the buyer of the Sam Nesmith Collection. Not sure if anyone else has found this, but a brand new eBay seller popped up that has said they bought Sam Nesmith's uniform/headgear collection. They are currently selling it off, and have included many items. I haven't really looked through all of their items, but thought it would be good for us too look through their catalog too see if the stuff is good. I believe one of the commenters on my earlier thread said they saw a lot of the Nesmith collection and saw multiple humped up/put together uniforms. Let me know what you think.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/epicartifacts1

• 2 months later...

I bought a general officer service green uniform at a show in Dallas back in January, which I just sold. Last evening I found it listed in the Nesmith auction. It had a ribbon bar and First Cavalry patch on it that had been added. The uniform actually belonged to Major General Paul A. Mayo, as evidenced by the tailor's label.

https://burleyauction.hibid.com/lot/57447516/vietnam-u-s--army-1st-cavalry-2-star-general-tunic?q=general

I also bought an Argyll & Sutherlanders doublet from the dealer currently liquidating a number of pieces from the collection. I am told the auction did not yield the desired results, so this dealer bought a large portion of the collection. The widow apparently has some high prices set on other pieces that have not yet come to market.

ribbons.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The number of trumped up and fake uniforms is shocking! I collect British uniforms and others as well as US, and have seen few without problems, ranging from minor to major.

They are fetching high prices as well. Somebody or some people are making expensive mistakes. 

CB

• 1 month later...

It seems like there are many shill bids on their auctions. Stuff is being sold for three or four times the real value. Now they are relisting stuff that supposedly sold at those high prices??

53 minutes ago, Pointedcuffs said:

It seems like there are many shill bids on their auctions. Stuff is being sold for three or four times the real value. Now they are relisting stuff that supposedly sold at those high prices??

I've noticed the exorbitantly high prices and relisting too. Not sure if this is shill bidding or eBay mod mentality.I've noticed when a seller lists a lost of militaria the overall prices tend to go higher because they generate overall more interest. This isn't always the case, but I've seen items go for a similar 3-4 times what they are worth with the only connecting factors between the different instances is the fact that all the sellers listed a large catalog of items all together in a short period of time. My guess would be that for some non-forum member collectors, the fact that a seller has a lot of items is enough to authenticate it their eyes that they can trust the seller as someone would a dealer that has dealt in militaria for decades with lots of experience and respect. This is probably one of the more annoying things about eBay, it's a popular platform with lots of traffic, but it causes this "mob mentality". Crazy how many uneducated collectors throw money around like its nothing. 

Hunt

Captainofthe7th

Two sellers are selling from the same collection.  I can't confirm that it is the Nesmith collection or not, but I did message back forth with this seller and mentioned that epicartifacts had the same quality and style of photography and this seller confirmed that he's helping sell the large lot.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/weiljr074u

One of the items I bid on, a Middlesex regiment tunic with attribution, checked out nicely and I was very confident about it.  Unfortunately I was outbid and it will be one I kick myself over.  I did inquire about the multiple relistings and the response was a buyer had bid on and purchased multiple items and did not pay after a month of racking up a bill.  Take that with any amount of skepticism you wish.

Not knowing the origin of the uniforms, I have no idea what, if anything, is tampered with and I have nothing negative to say about either seller.  They're offering some really stellar items and as always just stay educated and put the effort into research.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a 1902 General Officer cap sell for substantially less than what is worth. And I picked up a misidentified British uniform for substantially less than what it was worth.

There are multiple dealers across Texas with pieces from this collection for sale.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.