"CB" vs "SeaBee"

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hey everyone,

Another questions that's been nagging at me recently. What is the difference between the cuff "CB" patch and the shoulder "Seabee" patch? Are they for different things? I have always thought that the cuff patch would have been for Construction Battalion, and then the "Seabee" patch we all know was a later WW2 patch that replaced the cuff "CB". Am I correct with this assumption, or totally wrong? And if someone could give me a proper timeline on when it was all worn, I would appreciate that! 

Thanks
Hunt

• 2 years later...

Some info:  CB Ratings.  Originally, they were given rating marks the same as those in the fleet, however, they did not perform the same type of job as those of the fleet ratings.  On May 9, 1942, the rating badges had CB instead of specialty marks.  Some were directly embroidered; others, a patch was put over rating mark.  17 December 1942, the specialty mark was restored and the letters CB were added to the left sleeve.  Initially, all Seabees, including seaman rates,  wore rating badge and CB on left sleeve.  Normally, seaman ratings wore their rating badges on the right sleeve.  15 December 1943 returned seaman CB rating badges to right sleeve, others on left.  The CB on lower left sleeve for all.  

From the November 1944 All Hands

image.png.1afd4f1bf69116b226daf1d120fa709f.png