I cant imagine why ? Buzzard !

The Rooster

huntssurplus

Did someone think it might be some sort of Navy Artwork? Souvenir bringback? "Trench art"? 

Seems like a lot of money. Maybe it was because it was a fixed bail, someone might be trying to restore it? 

The Foam on the inside shows it was used for something, maybe some sort of maritime business? Harbor job? Shipyard worker?

Hunt

Well not every m1 helmet needs to be restored to look like a ww2 helmet. Looks nice, but would not pay 250 bucks for it :) 

The Rooster

Looks like a version of a disney drawn vulture.

At 41 bucks or so, it looked like a good candidate to strip that stuff off and have

a nice helmet. Thats after you stripped the civilian paint and removed the foam.

But when I looked and saw it had gone to 107 bucks,

I became a spectator. It sold for way too much In my opinion.

There might be something under that civilian paint job?

But still.... $262  + tax + shipping.

No thanks.. And its got a huge crack in it.

At that price, you leave it alone and put it on the mantle and tell your house guests that none other

than Walt Disney himself painted it for your great uncle who was in the navy.

I like it!!  

Could be related to Navy Special projects squadrons who have been called “Old Buzzards”. VPU-1 and VPU-2 squadrons have an interesting and murky history. 

The Rooster

I would like it too but...

It cpould be... Maybe......

That paint is awfully fresh looking. Dont think Pink is their squadrons colors and........

And then there is this....

https://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/stepbystepdrawinglessons/2011/01/how-to-draw-cartoon-vultures-in-easy-steps-drawing-tutorial/

BUt anything is possible... Never say never...

Maybe it was made for a retirement party or something?

Its not old. The paint that is.

To bad cause it was a nice helmet.

vultures-color.png

s-l400.jpg

Could also be related to NAS Oceana SAR. Looks like something that could have been worn during a Chief Petty Officer initiation ordeal. LOL

Burning Hazard

The foam padding inside makes me think of kiddie soap box derby. Second thought is the helmet being a commemorative piece for a vet.

Pat

huntssurplus

I think that if it would be a commemorative, then there wouldn't be the foam on the inside. Definitely think it had some sort of use as an actual helmet at some point on the civilian side. I guess it is possible it was painted after?

It is definitely not military paint job though, at least not done for use in the military.

Hunt

• 2 weeks later...
The Rooster

Its too close to the how to draw a buzzard website I posted above to be anything other than some goofy thing someone painted on there.

Its a dead ringer for the buzzard in the how to draw a buzzard tutotrial linked above..... The tutorial is 9 years old. Painted on there sometime between 2011 and now i'm guessing ?

At $43.00 , I'd take it and remove that crud and have a nice old lid.

Anything much over that.... Nope.