CW Era Military Academy Photograph

Trying to figure out a little more about what this is, appears to be a Federal military academy photo but I don't recall CW era pictures being quite this large.  Pasted onto  cardboard, its old but just not sure how old?.  Frame measures 16 x 12, picture itself measures 13 1/4 by 9 1/2.  Thanks in advance for your help,  

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

skypilot6670

The image is from sometime around the late 1800 (1890 or so ) it’s not of a federal academy . The kepi hats , the bowler and panama straw boater hats all look to me to be  1890 or early 1900. The belts or kepi wreaths may have some lettering that will offer a clue as to what the group is , beyond that I don’t know. Other members with in-depth knowledge of early photography may provide more info. I really like the miniature muskets , bayonets and expressions on their faces .

Agree the photo post dates the Civil War.

Based on the clothing, uniforms and frame I'd put it in the 1890s.  Also the shorter drum with metal rod tension instead of rope is post war.

It is true that smaller (carte de visites) are more prominant during the Civil War era, but  larger albumen images were made. 

Albumen prints were contact printed, so the size of the print equals the size of the negative.  Large glass plate negatives were fragile and the corresponding camera to hold the large plates to take the photograph, were expensive.  The resulting prints were expensive. 

After the Civil War, advancements allowed photographers to create enlarged images.  These enlargements became the "bread and butter" work of many photographers in the late 19th century.

Scott