ID’d D-Day 1st MedBn uniform

ww2guymandude

ww2guymandude

Had to bid higher than I was expecting in order to get this one, but I definitely think it was worth it. This jacket is ID’d to Sgt. (discharged as T/4) James Papp, Co. “D” 1st MedBn. He saw action with the 1st MedBn for every single one of their campaigns from Operation Torch to Central Europe. Papp wore an invasion arrowhead, most likely for D-Day, as well as a silver battle star along with three more bronze battle stars. In September, 1945, Papp was transferred to Co. “D” 324th MedBn for demobilization. The jacket itself features a nice British made 1st ID patch, along with some exceedingly rare unmarked sterling 1st MedBn DUIs.

2af8c2b355ab9d1111b5d3e71a8f0d55.jpg

d7320530fe4d83b55bc352a83d903ae9.jpg

huntssurplus

Okay, that’s awesome! Rare to see more then 5 campaigns... but 8!? Love the cord too! Rare stuff! Any idea what the bronze star was for? And did it come straight from the family!?

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ww2guymandude

No clue what he earned the BSM for, it wasn’t even listed on his DD214 for some reason. His American Campaign ribbon wasn’t listed there either. This one came from a seller that does estate liquidations, however I’m not sure if they cleaned Papp’s estate out.

• 2 years later...

My Dad didn't hang around for a Purple Heart. When he came back State side, he was at Bragg for discharge, They handed him his separation papers and said look them over, He said I'm entitled to  to a Purple Heart for a shrapnel leg wound, He said it will take a few days to straighten it out. Or you can leave today with your papers as is..... Needless to say 3 years overseas and one and half state side was enough... he took the train ticket. 

• 1 month later...

I have a 1st ID medic uniform put away in Storage right now. If I remember right he had 6-7 campaign stars, a bronze star, a silver star, and a combat medic badge. 

• 3 weeks later...
ww2guymandude
On 9/23/2022 at 5:26 PM, eagle mtn said:

I have a 1st ID medic uniform put away in Storage right now. If I remember right he had 6-7 campaign stars, a bronze star, a silver star, and a combat medic badge. 

Sounds like a fantastic uniform! Would love to see some pics at some point if time permits!