WWI Female Unit and Uniform Help.

patches

Would like any info on Organization and the uniform they are wearing.

This photo is making the rounds on one of the New York City FB Groups, it says and I quote.

1915- Women helping with the war effort. Show off their military uniforms. On Broadway New York City

That date given will be an error right off the bat as we were not in the war yet, so a 1917 or 1918 one.

103143579_2903750359753104_6322476529238828864_n.jpg

huntssurplus

Looks denim. Maybe a denim fatigued uniform? Navy maybe? Looks like USMC p41 fatigues with the lower pockets so I’d guess navy denim work uniform would be a good place to start looking.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are not military uniforms. This looks like a group of civilian women working on the home front in some sort of business. 

...Kat

On 6/19/2020 at 8:42 PM, huntssurplus said:

Looks denim. Maybe a denim fatigued uniform? Navy maybe? Looks like USMC p41 fatigues with the lower pockets so I’d guess navy denim work uniform would be a good place to start looking.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what it looks like, also looks like mens ones.

3 hours ago, patches said:

They all are wearing Uniform Hats, Uniform meaning all the same, this to me indicates some kind of official organization.

You can see this type of hat here, the clothing they are wearing though is not depicted.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/object-groups/women-in-wwi/women-s-uniforms

Just because they all have on the same uniform does not make it an official organization. Just because the hat and nothing else is similar does not make it military. 

While trying to research this, I found pictures of women working in various factory jobs with this same type of outfit including the hats. From 1914-1918, women worked in factories, railways, postal workers, firefighters, etc.  I believe these women were working for some type of factory on the home front where they all wore the same business attire. 

14 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Just because they all have on the same uniform does not make it an official organization. Just because the hat and nothing else is similar does not make it military. 

While trying to research this, I found pictures of women working in various factory jobs with this same type of outfit including the hats. From 1914-1918, women worked in factories, railways, postal workers, firefighters, etc.  I believe these women were working for some type of factory on the home front where they all wore the same business attire. 

Curious for sure, asked World War I Nerd to look in, maybe he can see if they are of some kind of auxiliary organization. For reference Post those factory photos please.

mars&thunder

I'm with cutiger83 on this ID. I believe it's some kind of work uniform associated with an industrial setting.  Look on google images for pictures of WWI women munitions workers or war workers. Lots of different style dress - some jobs apparently required pants. None of the uniformed women's service or auxilliary/charity agencies that I have ever looked at had work clothes anything like this. Not the women's land army, either, so I say industrial workers.