Mule pack ? I need an opinion !

Tom @ Snake River

Tom @ Snake River

Here is what was described to me as a mule pack to carry a machine gun.

My picture of the fine print did not turn out, but it is marked with the manufacturer name, "US 1943"

It is in a local private museum and looks to have never been issued.

Seeing very little attachments, I wonder if it slung over a frame, however the flap towards the top is a breather.

post-4931-1231982190.jpg

It does have nice white "lamb's wool padding underneath.

What are your educated opinions ? ? ?

I've been studying horse and mule pack equipment for a few years now. This piece baffles me. I'd sure like to get a look at the markings.

It doesn't look like it was for anything too heavy. Those slots appear to be for straps to hold the cargo. The lamb's wool would indicate there was nothing between it and the animal whereas the heavy duty pack rigs had some big time padding:

mulepack42.jpg

mulepack42b.jpg

mulepack42c.jpg

It doesn't look like it was for anything too heavy. Those slots appear to be for straps to hold the cargo. The lamb's wool would indicate there was nothing between it and the animal whereas the heavy duty pack rigs had some big time padding:

post-214-1232000776.jpg

post-214-1232000784.jpg

post-214-1232000793.jpg

This type is the Philips Pack Saddle,I think RobinB has one or two..Not sure on yours Tom..Its not in my FM25-7 pack Transport Manual.

Dave.

craig_pickrall

I do not have a copy, but possibly, the manual you need is FM25-5 which covers the various packing equipment. I looked through the QM manuals that cover horse equipment and there is nothing close to this. One thing I did learn is the Phillips Pack Saddle has holes for 45 tie down thongs / side while this pack only has 26. The Phillips was used for packing MG's, Mortars, etc. so this must have been for a much lighter load. Is there any chance this is intended for ceremonial use, funerals, etc?

Tom @ Snake River

Well, I found the answer to the mystery, why you could not find it in the US books - oh, could it be the "MADE IN ENGLAND" stamp crying.gif

It is marked "D MASON & SONS - WALSALL - 1943"

After googleing the name. It is a well known leather firm in a well known leather manufacturing town in England.

The story of the piece is that it came from SMITH & EDWARDS, a large surplus dealer in Ogden Utah, who has been there since WWII.

Burt Smith, one of the owners would always save rare pieces and give them to museums. Question is: how did a British piece make it into US surplus channels ? ?

post-4931-1232244303.jpg

post-4931-1232244335.jpg