Looking for Comments on L Baker Knife

hunterman

11 hours ago, hunterman said:

Anyone ever seen a Baker similar to this?

IMG_7436_lite.jpg.892f4a2c59899a088ddab7671111346f.jpg

Nope, sure haven’t.  Thanks for sharing.

Always liked the Bakers for their sturdy build and crude functionality - a grunts knife.  I have owned several, to include two of the ones shown in Aznations post.  I still ahve the aluminum handle.

Unknown to many folks was the fact that Baker had also discovered the secret of tempering his knives (like Richtig) so that they could cut steel.  He was recognized in a 1954 UPI press release photo for that fact.  Richtig made the claim earlier, so maybe Baker copied him??

Have not seen that particular handle on a Baker.  It has a typical Baker profile, so maybe the original leather/rubber handle fell apart and the owner replaced it with this.

Just another interesting tidbit.  I bought the knife in the below thread several years ago and it came with a bunch of paperwork.  Included in the paperwork, was an original copy of Leo Baker's discharge papers from WWI.  Just thought that to be an interesting tidbit.  I sold the knife, but kept the papers,

- https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/134890-leo-baker-custom-fighting-knife/