U.S. Technician Insignia Set ID

WittWorldWide.com

WittWorldWide.com

Can anyone ID the Branch, Period/Range Used, and basic job/MOS criteria for this insignia.  Officers Equip. Co. Madison NJ marked, but likely made by Blackinton for this distributor in the 1950s.  (These are New/Old Stock from a long closed Army/Navy shop in Chicago.)

Cap Size is 2" x 1-5/8", Labels? are  13/16" x 5/8" approx.

I understand they are likely Civilian, but who did they work with primarily... and have seen these before, but for some reason can not find the details again.

Thanks, Rich

spacer.pngspacer.png

WittWorldWide.com

Appreciate it...  You see the cloth patch equivalent regularly, from WW2 Era, but have never seen the metal insignia in images as worn, and these are clearly 1950s manufacture.

Thanks, Rich

• 2 months later...
David Minton
Appreciate it...  You see the cloth patch equivalent regularly, from WW2 Era, but have never seen the metal insignia in images as worn, and these are clearly 1950s manufacture.

Thanks, Rich

I thought Officer’s Equipment Company closed in 1947 though?

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344406-officers-equipment-company-a-brief-history/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WittWorldWide.com

David,

Appreciate the note, as well as the History from Cliff.  I was always told OEC died off around Korean War, and made my assessment on Pin Base construction (lack of smooth soldering around pin head...), and BAB Dimpled Clutches, which I've only seen in the 50s, prior to the Ballou marked clutches from the 60s...

I understand you can't always date off clutches, and possible this stock was left over late 40's stuff, finished and sold later.  I also have been told they were a distributor, that had others manufacture and mark product they sold.

If the insignia I have is truly Pre-1947, all the better...

All my sets with Cap Badge & Lapels sold very quickly, but still have some of the Lapel Sized Pairs.

Thanks, Rich

David Minton
3 hours ago, WittWorldWide.com said:

David,

Appreciate the note, as well as the History from Cliff.  I was always told OEC died off around Korean War, and made my assessment on Pin Base construction (lack of smooth soldering around pin head...), and BAB Dimpled Clutches, which I've only seen in the 50s, prior to the Ballou marked clutches from the 60s...

I understand you can't always date off clutches, and possible this stock was left over late 40's stuff, finished and sold later.  I also have been told they were a distributor, that had others manufacture and mark product they sold.

If the insignia I have is truly Pre-1947, all the better...

All my sets with Cap Badge & Lapels sold very quickly, but still have some of the Lapel Sized Pairs.

Thanks, Rich

To be honest, I don't know more than what I read in that article, so don't take me as saying you are wrong on your assessment, which is why I ended with a question mark. If you are confident in your assessment, stick with it. The article seemed authoritative to me, but not something I know a great deal about. I'm mainly a patch guy and usually stick to pin back metal insignia.

To be honest, I bought a set on eBay recently, probably from you it would seem? If you still have some color/garrison cap size, I should pick up another to complete my set.

• 5 weeks later...

Rich,

Here is a link to a great article Ian Watts wrote on US Naval Technician's history and insignia.

https://ianewatts.org/blog/2009/12/06/u-s-navy-technician/

Joe