WW2 helmet, unusual, comments please.

iron bender

To reiterate a comment I made about museum 'artifacts'; being in a museum doesn't make an item original without the same provenance we expect as collectors. That said, this helmet could be all original as is. It could be put together, and it could have a fresh paint job. I'm speculating the later. Guessing an attempt at chemical vesicant camo paint?

huntssurplus

I can't really comment, but it seems like a weird color. Doesn't really look like airborne helmets I've seen. Hard to tell with the photo quality though.

Hunt

Camo has come a long way. Nowadays, you don't want to be seen!

Agree, museums might (and have) done anything to complete their "vision" of a display.

This helmet is displayed at Robbins AFB Air Museum, along with some other Airborne items. The description states this M1C was found 

near Amfreville , France. It also states the camouflage paint scheme is from the 1943 Sicily Airborne campaign. 

I posted this helmet just to see what the helmet " experts" would have to say. True, the Air Force museum at Robins may not be the final word, but I would expect original equipment displayed with accurate descriptions. What struck me was the Airborne area, many items displayed and all recovered from Europe. I just threw it in for "opinion" as I have seen many strange helmets posted here as original but a few " experts" decried them as not original. My thoughts are maybe the " experts" are just not aware of the " non standard" or unique period pieces that are found out there. I do know, in the Ordnance field, most European Ordnance found/ dug on the battlefields in Europe are not what collectors in the US think is " correct". Example: M200 fuzes on grenades, here in the States grenade collectors say they are not correct on MK2 grenade frags, but a Belgium collector has found many spoons dug from battlefields marked M200. I have learned in the Ornance field, many collectors out there do not know what they do not know.

Manufacture of M1-C helmets did not begin until January 1945, which, if my understanding of the space-time continuum is correct, came after 1943.