One that you do not see

mortaydc60

On ebay now is the 591st Eng Boat Regiment a WW2 patch. Might close at close to $400. Was in the TP DI section as an unknown and finally ID'd. Know of only two in existance,this one on ebay and one mentioned on a uniform. They had the unusual job of shipping items ashore to the beachfront. Was early unit in Africa and believe participated in the Normandy invasion. Had conversation with curator of the US Army Engineer Museum and said had never seen one in person. Extremely rare WW2 unit to see as a shoulder patch.

$_103.JPG

The one on ebay was mine and as I said only know of two in total, but what actual number is we will see what turns up from the woodwork once they realize the rarity and value.

Wow, I had been wondering where the seller had gotten such a large quantity of great patches and insignias. I have bought several dozen DI from him. It will be interesting to see if this influx brings more out of the woodwork, especially for some of the still unknown ones.

Mort,

I won the the one on ebay, I actually expected it to go over $400 and was pleasantly surprised.  An exceptionally rare patch. 

Hi Vance,

Glad to learn it is in a good home. Hope all is well with you and family. It definitely helps to know something  about the hobby , do your research,go to shows and pick others brains,you are a good example of what you have to do to have a great collection.

vintageproductions

I have owned three of these.

One unused, one used, and one on a souvenir banner / scarf.

That shows you how rare the item is if Bob only had three in his career. Of all the patches that have gone thru his doors how many patches even come close to that rarity. Maybe Bob could off the top of his head think of others that might qualify. Have seen more bullion 509's on Grants displays!

BigDogMilitaria

I believe he acquired an incredible collection that was here in the Detroit area , early in 2017. The collection was massive , the dealer passed away at the end of 2016 and had been collecting since he was a kid in the 30’s. When I say massive, it was an entire basement full of patches , wings , pins , DI’s. And that’s only what I saw and didn’t include a whole other bedroom full of stuff .