11th Airborne

27Division18

Can anyone tell me which regiment or unit of the 11th airborne is represented by the oval patch? The wings are sterling marked and both patches were on the same (moth-ridden) uniform. Is this WW2 or Korea?

June 18, 2020 017.JPG

June 18, 2020 018.JPG

27Division18
6 minutes ago, triplecanopy said:

Looks like the 511th Airborne Infantry.

Thanks for the ID. Is it WW2 or Korea, do you think? Thank you

triplecanopy

To me it looks like your oval or parachute background trimming is post WWII. It has a twill center where as the WWII era ovals have a wool felt center.

As to your other question, The CIB actually came along after the jump wings badge. Initially you see soldiers wearing their jump wings above the CIB. When the army finally had time to figure out placement of awards on the uniform, the regulations placed the Combat Infantryman Badge above all other awards and decorations. I hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

According to the book, "U.S. Army Patches, Flashes, and Ovals: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Cloth Unit Insignia" (ISBN: 9780979161308), the author has this background trimming (oval) listed as the 188th Glider (redesignated Airborne) Infantry Regiment as well as the 511th Parachute (redesignated Airborne) Infantry Regiment Background Trimming. Both the 188th and 511th served with the 11th Airborne Division, even when it was reactivated as the 11th Air Assault Division (Test).

Is there a way to tell the difference or is the aforementioned book wrong?

17 hours ago, McChizzle said:

According to the book, "U.S. Army Patches, Flashes, and Ovals: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Cloth Unit Insignia" (ISBN: 9780979161308), the author has this background trimming (oval) listed as the 188th Glider (redesignated Airborne) Infantry Regiment as well as the 511th Parachute (redesignated Airborne) Infantry Regiment Background Trimming. Both the 188th and 511th served with the 11th Airborne Division, even when it was reactivated as the 11th Air Assault Division (Test).

Is there a way to tell the difference or is the aforementioned book wrong?

I would say that the book is wrong. The 188th A/B Infantry had a light blue center rather than light green as worn by the 511th.

Allan