PURPLE HEART CERTIFICATE- NATIONAL GUARD in VIETNAM

firefighter

firefighter

Found the certificate yesterday. I didn't notice it until I got home that it was awarded to a National Guard Soldier. I couldn't find any information on the soldier so any help would be appreciated. Thank youIMG_20200617_220134103.jpgIMG_20200617_220142350.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Interesting certificate that illustrates an often forgotten aspect of the war -- the partial mobilization of the National Guard for service in Vietnam and in support in the US.  Thanks for posting it.

Here's a thought: If the headstone in the previous post is his, then his parents were from Kansas and are buried there and its a fair assumption he was originally from Kansas.  The 69th Infantry Brigade consisted mostly of Kansas National Guard units (primary exception being 2-133rd Infantry, Iowa National Guard).  That brigade was mobilised for Federal Service in 1968. Although the brigade was not sent to Vietnam, over 2,000 of it's officers and enlsted men did go to Vietnam as individual replacements, a number of whom were WIA.  

Considering where his parents were from, Kansas, the Kansas National Guard might be good places to start researching.  The Kansas National Guard Museum in Topeka may have the rosters of the 69th Infantry Brigade and may be able to confirm whether he was part of the mobilization in 1968.

Dennis

firefighter
Very interesting to see an award document for a National Guardsman.  This may be his headstone.  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/973044/thomas-w-mccullough

Unfortunately, it is a somewhat common name, so it may be hard to track down, unless request his records through NPRC.
Thank you for the information. I wasn't even able to find that.

firefighter
Interesting certificate that illustrates an often forgotten aspect of the war -- the partial mobilization of the National Guard for service in Vietnam and in support in the US.  Thanks for posting it.

Here's a thought: If the headstone in the previous post is his, then his parents were from Kansas and are buried there and its a fair assumption he was originally from Kansas.  The 69th Infantry Brigade consisted mostly of Kansas National Guard units (primary exception being 2-133rd Infantry, Iowa National Guard).  That brigade was mobilised for Federal Service in 1968. Although the brigade was not sent to Vietnam, over 2,000 of it's officers and enlsted men did go to Vietnam as individual replacements, a number of whom were WIA.  

Considering where his parents were from, Kansas, the Kansas National Guard might be good places to start researching.  The Kansas National Guard Museum in Topeka may have the rosters of the 69th Infantry Brigade and may be able to confirm whether he was part of the mobilization in 1968.

Dennis
Thank you for the information.