Unknown sword help!!

hink441

Picked up this sword recently and have no idea what it is. It came out of an old house in Richmond Va. Any ideas????

131E1B40-05E6-4522-A581-F3FB8DE2B1C7.jpeg

18894B03-DDBC-43B1-92D1-3C0E98D6995A.jpeg

73F62E20-887E-4AD4-B447-49D18C2C7EA0.jpeg

5896EE94-643E-44CE-9861-D4AC8E3D6F46.jpeg

Wood is gone. No markings I can see and has 7 holes poked through the handguard. Big heavy fullered blade. Anybody seen this before. I have searched online and have found nothing. Thanks for looking 

Chris

Horseclover

Hi

This appears to be a model 1845 Austrian cavalry sword,  Without a complete provenance, it falls into the category of a tired old relic that might have appeared in the house as recently the day before finding it.  Otoh, it is a sword type that was known to be used during the ACW.  I'm not remembering  (off the top of my head) an officer photographed with one that confirms an ACW use.

A not too uncommon find in as new condition.  Look for any marks on the ricasso of the blade.

Cheers

GC

Horseclover

In addendum, I believe there were two or three other versions/model years into the 1860s but I am not a studied authority on the genre.  Minor differences in dimension and iirc, eight vs seven holes in the later model.

Cheers

GC

Did a light clean up and found two marks on the hand guard. The larger word appears to end in “MAN” and the smaller one has what looks like a “W”. 

Anyone able to decipher these marks?

B511D6C5-8671-4CFA-9AF2-8850D4501150.jpeg

21CA868F-F953-48BC-A114-001B3EC35A0E.jpeg

Not my area, but as a wild guess: C. Jurmann, which was a known maker.

Since it's Austrian it would be obvious if the other word was Wien (Vienna), but I am not sure. Could also be a maker. 

59 minutes ago, kilian said:

Not my area, but as a wild guess: C. Jurmann, which was a known maker.

Since it's Austrian it would be obvious if the other word was Wien (Vienna), but I am not sure. Could also be a maker. 

Thank you for the information. I believe this is a Jurmann made sword. I have learned that Jurmann exported 1845 Austrian Cavalry swords to Henry Boker in New York City. It is believed these imported swords saw use in the Civil War.  Who knows if this one saw use in the Civil War, but it is a possibility. 

Chris

Is it possible to have a wood handle replaced on a sword like this? Obviously I don’t want to put a lot of money in this relic, but wood handle scales would be nice. Does anyone do that kind of restoration work?  

Thanks,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

This picture is from eBay. The seller purports this photo to be a Confederate soldier. I don’t know if this is a Confederate soldier, but the sword he is holding is very similar to my relic from Richmond. 

5E989F3E-AEFC-4F75-9E5E-57D6547B7EF0.jpeg