Japanese Sniper Rifle bringback?

Steve Brannan

Steve Brannan

My next door neighbor was cleaning out his father in law’s home and found this Rifle. The Veteran is deceased but had tagged this a Japanese Sniper Rifle from New Guinea 1944. It has no markings and appears to have never had any, except the serial number. The barrel is about 31” long. What is it? Any identification would be helpful. 

53417FAD-6808-462A-BC7B-2B07CC53C40A.jpeg

CAEA1A3D-DF8C-41C1-8054-2EFEB1EB4186.jpeg

EB90D168-C2B1-449E-80AB-EA537EA4DAE8.jpeg

765BC329-8BE2-40E6-A537-F77E0F7B4F35.jpeg

13899E65-ED57-4C81-B8AF-0604D90517C0.jpeg

Doctorofwar

Your Rifle is a Japanese Type “I” (Italian) rifle.  It is an unusual mixture of a Carcano and Arisaka characteristics.  Although any rifle used in the correct context could be employed as a “sniper’s rifle” the Type I was not procured for use or issue as a designated snipers weapon.  Further info can be found in Ducan McCullom’s book on Japanese Rifles, a concise book that is highly recommended if your into Japanese rifles. 

Doctorofwar

Also would recommend this video for more info on these interesting Italian produced-Japanese issued WW2 rifles:

Steve Brannan

Thanks for quick if and info guys. Learn something new every time I go to the Forum. Looks like it might sell for $250 at a Gun Show. Is that about right?

Probably about that since it is missing the rear sight. I think I payed 350$ for mine that was all matching with the "mum" intact. What might make it more valuable is that it is a bring back that has a name attached, even without the paperwork that still might increase the value. 

• 2 weeks later...
Brian Keith

Very nice souvenir. They were used by the Imperial Japanese Navy, and it fires the 6.5 mm Japanese cartridge. Just to avoid confusion, the Italian made, Japanese Type I rifles do not have a "mum" on them.

BKW 

Steve Brannan

Thanks Bryan No Mum. No markings but the serial number, the letter D followed by 4 numerals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk