Union Morning Reports?

I randomly came across a Union morning report for a relatively known unit, signed by the unit's CO. I haven't been able to find many of these "in the wild"...seems like most are in archives and such. Is that typically what happened to these? I bought mine as kind of a cool decorator, but I was trying to see what's out there that's like it, and am not having much luck. 

Welcome to venturing into an unknown collecting realm for me! :D

skypilot6670

Hey Dave.      My experience with these reports is a cluster from one unit will surface. I recall seeing an add for an officers desk with completed reports  , I think for an Ohio unit.I think as you said most were turned in and archived.
     Somehow “The Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies “ a 40 or so volume set , and “Col.Foxs  Regimental Losses of the Civil War” had to have access to a consolidated source. What that is I don’t know. State Adjutant General or possibly National Archives ? I’am guessing the reports that surface were missed in the consolidation and eventually found there way to collectors like us.  
       The quality of the paper and the calligraphy used in these reports make them a very attractive and interesting snapshots  of soldier life.  Thanks for posting. Fraternally Yours.    Mike

Thanks guys! Here are a couple photos. I had never seen one before. I thought it would be pretty cool to frame...

maine2.jpg

maine3.jpg

maine4.jpg

maine5.jpg

Nope, first time I've seen one. I have a couple of clothing accounts and a muster roll. I thought about framing the muster roll, but unfolded, the darned thing is HUGE! 

Thanks for the pictures. 

Mikie

skypilot6670

Hey Dave searched EBay in “Civil War Original period items “, for Morning reports and also searched Muster Rolls got several hits (more than I expected ) prices are $20.00 to $1000.00 depending on date , condition , content and weather it’s framed and matted.  This surprised me as I search EBay daily for newly listed CW items and don’t recall any being listed.     My scan is usually for Corps badges and I.d. disc so I probably missed them.   Fraternally Yours.   Mike

Thanks Mike! I looked on eBay as well and found nothing...maybe they come in waves...

I thought this would be pretty cool framed because of the fame of the unit and the time period of this report. I found this chronology on the27thmaine.com 

JUNE
01 Promoted: H.Knox, F.Davis, S.Hayes, C.Pierce, C.Hutchins
10 Date on which the 27th ME were first told they would be released from duty [9-months from 10 Sep, the date they signed up]
21 Brigade ordered to report to Maj-Gen Slocum of the 12th Army Corps by the 28th [not knowing they were 9-month men with service about to expire]

>>>23 This muster report produced
24 Brigade ordered to Washington for transportation home
25 Left Chantilly and moved to Arlington Heights
26 Died: F.Burnham
28 The 25th and 27th ME receive letters from Edwin Stanton, Secretary of War, under direction of the President, asking for them to stay beyond their 9-month service for a short time. Over 300 men of just the 27th ME step forward
30 original expiration date for the 9-month service [from 30 Sept mustering in]

JULY
03 Battle of Gettysburg ends 

Morning reports are not uncommon.  Go to a civil war show and you will likely find a selection at any given time.

The price range is based on the unit, date, and content.  Most would probably fall between $50-$150...with occasional rare exceptions.

Like all eras...the more directly related to significant combat, the more desirable.

skypilot6670
1 hour ago, Dave said:

Thanks Mike! I looked on eBay as well and found nothing...maybe they come in waves...

I thought this would be pretty cool framed because of the fame of the unit and the time period of this report. I found this chronology on the27thmaine.com 

JUNE
01 Promoted: H.Knox, F.Davis, S.Hayes, C.Pierce, C.Hutchins
10 Date on which the 27th ME were first told they would be released from duty [9-months from 10 Sep, the date they signed up]
21 Brigade ordered to report to Maj-Gen Slocum of the 12th Army Corps by the 28th [not knowing they were 9-month men with service about to expire]

>>>23 This muster report produced
24 Brigade ordered to Washington for transportation home
25 Left Chantilly and moved to Arlington Heights
26 Died: F.Burnham
28 The 25th and 27th ME receive letters from Edwin Stanton, Secretary of War, under direction of the President, asking for them to stay beyond their 9-month service for a short time. Over 300 men of just the 27th ME step forward
30 original expiration date for the 9-month service [from 30 Sept mustering in]

JULY
03 Battle of Gettysburg ends 

Hi Dave , After reading your post I pulled up a Wikipedia page on the “27th” and to my surprise they were the  “Medal Of Honor Unit “. That is very  cool. Ya just never know what history you will come up with when you look.  Congratulations.   MikeE495F6C0-A102-4AB1-9764-5A1ED516FF6A.jpeg.a05ee24bb152fca564ca508322f7b6fe.jpeg

50 minutes ago, MAW said:

Morning reports are not uncommon.  Go to a civil war show and you will likely find a selection at any given time.

The price range is based on the unit, date, and content.  Most would probably fall between $50-$150...with occasional rare exceptions.

Like all eras...the more directly related to significant combat, the more desirable.

Mike is spot on with his prices and other observations.

I used to see a fair quantity of these at shows, but not as much now.

I think they have thinned out more based on "what sells" vs. rarity.  Paper in general has fewer collectors and brings less than what it did 25 years ago.

Scott