Luxview

Polish Guard helmet on Ebay

From all I learned here as a newbie, this one - currently offered on German Ebay - can't be real. But please correct me in case I am overseeing anything?

s-l1600j.jpg

s-l1600i.jpg

s-l1600d.jpg

s-l1600f.jpg

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Sorry, forgot to include the link: https://www.ebay.de/itm/WW2-2-WK-Steel-Helmet-Casque-USA-Stahlhelm-M1-Lagerwache-Sehr-Selten/164243204490?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649. Text says "US Steelpot M1 utilized by the Polish POW Camp Guard under american command". Probably needless to mention that I asked the seller about authenticity / provenience without getting a reply... 

Well right away we see it has the 1950s on metal brackets on the chin straps, so not sure if we were using Poles, Polish refugees or former Wehrmacht personnel of Polish extraction in U.S. Army Europe say in 1957 as POW Camp Guards, POWs! no more POWs in the 50s in West Germany, we let them all go after the war ended 😆

I have no clue if this is a legit helmet but couldn´t find the word "Kriegsgefangener or POW" in the auction´s title or text. Maybe seller was referring to post war Polish U.S. Labor Service Guard units ("Lagerwache" = camp guard)?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

On 6/17/2020 at 9:24 PM, Proud Kraut said:

I have no clue if this is a legit helmet but couldn´t find the word "Kriegsgefangener or POW" in the auction´s title or text. Maybe seller was referring to post war Polish U.S. Labor Service Guard units ("Lagerwache" = camp guard)?

Proud Kraut, correct, you are right, text only says "camp guard" not "POW camp guard". I added it to give it some context - and I didn't see any other potential meaning - but I should have been more accurate; feedback taken !!

No problem. Meanwhile I´ve checked several sources to find a similar helmet used by Polish Labor Service units. Lots of different CG variations out there but unfortunately nothing like the ebay helmet. But never say never. 😉

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

On 6/21/2020 at 7:34 AM, Morrosch said:

Here is another one, the British version:

4edcb22f72787b517e26504d7f1085be.jpg&key=d87dbe15b983ac5d68c9f54b659c5c04a58bfac5db39080cce2957f0d9fe078e

I would would not buy high priced militaria from eBay, it is very risky... The chinstrap is a later one, too.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/224049680151

Please let me add that especially with this seller I'd keep my eyes open and be skeptical. I can't judge the authenticity of the helmets offered but since a few month this account has very rare helmets on sale on a regular base, always with a surprisingly short and generic descriptions only. As they are mostly Adrian helmets (WW1 Czech Legion etc.), I assume the majority of collectors on this forum won't have his auctions on their radars.

This one is probably the real deal, a British Helmet worn in Italy by the 12. Lancers, that's their regiment collar tab on the side, originally it was 12. Podolian Uhlan Regiment, and after being POWs of the Soviets they were released and went to Judea via Russia and Iran then on to Egypt, they later fought in Italy now called the 12th Armoured Cavalry Regiment. and later still. the 12th Podolian Rifles Regiment.

iex.jpg

k600.jpg

Not Polish Guard, their uniforms were like any other military unit, ie regulation . No way would they wear a foreign National Insignia on the front of their helmet. A Nation at that time did not exist  ( Polish Republic). My Father was a DP after the war and joined the Polish Guard. They wore helmet liners with CG painted on front. The NCOs and Officers were US Army. Their uniform was US Army Ike style dyed Dark Blue, the insignia was a patch of the #ed Guard unit , later they had the GTCC insignia, the originals being bullion worn over left pocket. Interesting that Military members were allowed to wear their war time regimental badges,but that was all,no former rank or National insignia. Have hundreds of pictures of Polish Guards from 1948 thru 1958, books and none have Polish Eagles on Helmets. I am sure even later when the Germans took over the Guards, they did not wear pre 1939 eagles on the helmets. 

donation2010.gif