M-2 Paratrooper Knife Guidance

BryanJ

I have a lead on a couple of WWII M-2 Paratrooper knives.  Not being familiar with these knives, I’ve spent quite a bit of time on-line researchIng the particulars, & learning the difference between the WWII, post-war, civilian, etc., and think I know enough now to distinguish between them.  However, given the cost of the knives which ain’t cheap, I need to decide whether to buy the black painted, stamped metal handle model, which I am 99.9% sure is authentic and which is significantly cheaper, or spend considerably more for the bone handle with lanyard staple, that I am 98% sure is authenticate.  Cost (and marital bliss) will not allow me to buy both.  So, what words of wisdom would you guys provide?  Both work just fine, but the bone handle is in better shape.  

21 minutes ago, BryanJ said:

I have a lead on a couple of WWII M-2 Paratrooper knives.  Not being familiar with these knives, I’ve spent quite a bit of time on-line researchIng the particulars, & learning the difference between the WWII, post-war, civilian, etc., and think I know enough now to distinguish between them.  However, given the cost of the knives which ain’t cheap, I need to decide whether to buy the black painted, stamped metal handle model, which I am 99.9% sure is authentic and which is significantly cheaper, or spend considerably more for the bone handle with lanyard staple, that I am 98% sure is authenticate.  Cost (and marital bliss) will not allow me to buy both.  So, what words of wisdom would you guys provide?  Both work just fine, but the bone handle is in better shape.  

Check out the pinned thread on WWII Paratrooper switchblade knives. I believe you will get the answer that you need there.

Allan

Clearly, and as my wife would agree, my powers of observation are sadly lacking - I did not read the pinned thread.  That was a remarkable thread.  From other information I read on-line, I thought the black metal handles were a sure thing.  Clearly, that is still an unknown.  The most enlightening info in that thread was the military report which indicates that switchblades in military use were both with and without the bail.  Now I’m wondering whether switchblades ever became a standard issue item (i.e., formally listed in an ABN Division’s TOE) or were they just a locally procured item that was given to some troops, or items that some GI’s bought on their own, or a combination of both.  Anyone ever see a TOE (if that was correct terminology during WWII) for an ABN Division after 1940 listing an M-2?