How to thread 1910 haversack straps?

ww2_1943

Hello all,

How do you "thread" the straps on ww1 style buckles on the M-1910 haversack? The straps on mine are done three different ways. Two of those ways have the metal taps pointing up, as opposed to down as on my m-1928 haversack with friction buckles. An explanation with photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

craig_pickrall

I think it is possible to find a pic to support any method you would prefer to use. I think you will see more early pics with the metal tips up and later you will see more pics with them down but still you can find them any way you like.

These pics are of the drawing for the M1910 and show the straps threaded with the tips up for what that is worth. There is a side view of the lacing arrangement shown at the bottom of the drawing. You may need to enlarge it to view it properly.

post-5-1173639288.jpg

post-5-1173639368.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

This is great info. Just to confirm, the tip is facing out, as opposed to in (against the soldiers body, if there was a soldier wearing the haversack) in the last pic?

Thank You

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

craig_pickrall

Yes the tip is on the outside. If the soldier is wearing the gear you can see the tips showing and they are pointing up.

As I said before, you can find many, many pics to prove either way is correct.

• 5 weeks later...
VolunteerArmoury

This is likely a common knowledge deal but I am familiar with the leather traditionally utilized on the pack but I understand there was also a canvas one as well. Was it constructed the same as the leather? When did it come into use? Was it for specific climates or anything other details? Thank you.

Be well,

Chad C. Rogers

Retired Army

New Romantic

I'm not quite sure what your refering too, but the 1st pattern haversack used two leather laces to secure the meatcan pouch to the haversack.

Check out this link to an older topic

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3026

Frankie G.

Check out my US World War I Site,

[web URL removed because the domain expired and may lead to a compromised website. This member is no longer active or collecting to the best of our knowledge.] - USMF ADMIN TEAM

craig_pickrall

Is this about the leather strap that attaches the pack tail extender to the main pack? If so then the only ones I have seen made of webbing rather than leather are on the Brit made M28's during WW2.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.