Wing Display

Owen

I  need some help from fellow collectors.  In my wing collection are several with

engraving on the reverse.  I want to build a new display for the collection including

the engraved examples.  I want to show off the personalized engraving, but don't

want to mount them face down where the front side can't be seen.  How do I dis-

play them so that both sides are visible along with the bulk which will be oriented 

normally?

Help,

Owen

There are a few lucite and mirror based display stands that are designed to show the front and a reflection of the back of an item.  I have never been happy with any of them.  

My chosen compromise has always been to find an identical, non engraved (hopefully cheaper) version of the same item and display the pair together.  That way; front and back.

Chris

5thwingmarty

The only other option I can think of would be to include photos of the backs along with the wings.  To me mirrored display cases would be annoying as the reflections seem like they would still be hard to see, and would also be reversed.

triplecanopy

Most badge collectors use Rikker mounts and they are ideal for displaying badges and similar sized items. In my collection, I also wanted to see the reverse side of some of my jump wings to easily see the Hallmarks or other significant details. My solution without making or buying a special frame is much like that already suggested by CWNORMA. I display an example of what the wing looks like on the frontal view and those that are identical with special features or hallmarks, I flip over and show the back side in the same group. That way I have an immediate reference of both sides. This has worked well for me. Just an idea...

IMG_1145.jpeg

skypilot6670

A google search will bring up these cases.  They started turning up at civil war shows a year or so ago. They are clear plastic and the film flexes to hold the piece stationary. I thought they are really nice.  Wishing you all the best    Mike2300AC5E-BFC1-4936-B31D-D028152CAD86.jpeg.ea9a3e524abba4a600c6f545d31d0460.jpeg4530777A-7E01-4E35-9FE0-CFDD7B9BEC52.jpeg.dedaa8fa3ca3ad16fc9748e1d0b0ee7c.jpeg

the best Mike

I have always felt that pinning the wings to a black velour cape and wearing/displaying them that way is ideal.  OR finding 3-4 pretty young ladies and having them wear a dress made of interlinked wings would also be very nice.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 1:16 PM, pfrost said:

I have always felt that pinning the wings to a black velour cape and wearing/displaying them that way is ideal.  

This is what I have in mind, except to use dark blue velour instead of black.  Actually, I have some that is close

to the shade of navy dress blues.  The problem of displaying both sides of a wing remains......

Help,

Owen