ROK Uniforms in Vietnam

Capazo

Hello!!!

A friend tell me that the ROK Camouflage Uniforms used by Korean troops in Vietnam also were used by US Special Forces.

Is it true?

Any photo??

Thank you

Hello!!!

A friend tell me that the ROK Camouflage Uniforms used by Korean troops in Vietnam also were used by US Special Forces.

Is it true?

Any photo??

Thank you

Get Jason Hardy and Mike Tuckers book on SOG

Some great color pics of a guy where them-during training

Hola Capazo,

your friend is indeed correct that these unifroms were worn by US personnel.

Here are two well known photos of ROK camo in wear by US troops.

Patrick.

post-109-1231962523.jpg

Hi

My understanding on this was when men attended the Recondo school they swoped uniforms with Korean men also at the school .

When the course was over everyone returned to their units and wore the newly acquired uniforms as a badge of honour saying "I have been There "

This is just one story .

I am sure there are a thousand more .

Here is a picture of myself dressed in the Said uniforn that was taken for a book by Paul Marildi that I have on file .

owen

post-2009-1231967281.jpg

I think USSFs and other US military used whatever "worked" in a particular locale. I'm sure they would try anything they felt might give them an edge. Between local shops making local camo, and Natick Labs(?) working on new "products," Americans in Vietnam most likely had greater diversity of equipment than in any War before or since. Even denim was sometimes worn in the Delta during Riverine Ops, whatever worked.

It leads to an interesting point. If you collect WW2 items in the US, you find few foreign(allied) uniforms. Vietnam is different in that all sorts of uniforms made it back to the States. Were some curiosities and souvenirs? Yes. But in my opinion, most were used(or intended to be used) by US forces. My own thoughts are that the nearly all the "A" marked uniforms were in fact worn by Americans though intended for Asians.

As for ROK uniforms, the experts here were quick to ID the ROK Marine Camo tunic I posted. Managed to find the pants that go with it and will post both when I figure out why my photos are so lousy. In any event the set were used and have what appears to be some grisly staining to them.

First thank you to all.

Second, Is the Paul Miraldi's book a good book to buy? Is it have a good description of kind of camouflages, equipment, etc??

Thank you

C

Well Paul is my good friend , so I would have to say yes .

There are lots of good pictures and if you are just getting into Vietnam uniforms , there is lots to see , and it is in color .Camouflage is well covered .

Remember , his books were written before the internet became so large and it features Pauls very large personal collection .

I helped with the camouflage .

It is worth a mention .

owen

• 1 month later...
Hi

My understanding on this was when men attended the Recondo school they swoped uniforms with Korean men also at the school .

When the course was over everyone returned to their units and wore the newly acquired uniforms as a badge of honour saying "I have been There "

This is just one story .

I am sure there are a thousand more .

Here is a picture of myself dressed in the Said uniforn that was taken for a book by Paul Marildi that I have on file .

owen

Ive also heard in the book "Recondo" that US troops at Recondo school where not allowed to intermingle with ROK troops at the school. Is there any reason why?

pwmiraldi67
First thank you to all.

Second, Is the Paul Miraldi's book a good book to buy? Is it have a good description of kind of camouflages, equipment, etc??

Thank you

I heard it was OK too :)

not bad, lots of ugly rump models though :)

thanks,

Paul thumbsup.gif

• 6 years later...
bareknuckleboutique

Really late but i figured id add a couple pictures of the ROK camo i have that was worn by a USMC soldier for future readers to see!

post-158169-0-01138500-1434306380.jpg