• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've been collecting militaria since the early '70's when I was in grade school. I grew up and still live in a small town that had a few small factories that produced items for the war effort during WW II. One company, The Jay Garment Company, made HBT shirts and coveralls (possibly trousers, but I haven't been able to prove that). Since I found out about those products in the later 70's, I've always been on the look out for them. Today, I was able to purchase a near mint HBT coveralls made in my home town of Portland, IN. I'm sure a lot of you folks get great enjoyment in finding something you've been searching for and I wanted to share my enjoyment with you. Thanks for looking! Now, to find a shirt!

Anybody else look for your own locally made militaria?

BKW

1972426956_Jay001.jpg.3cb60e2e8249a4d00a4c4dda028914f9.jpg

2066567819_Phone1023.jpg.450db2e5b45edf575451d8a21d225546.jpg

Congratulations! A very nice find!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

very nice and great condition as well.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Really cool! I know my home city produced torpedoes for submarines, so while it would be cool, don't think I could find one of those!

Maybe in a case next to a framed photo of the factory would be cool though?

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

That is a great mint piece.  It even better because it's made in your home town.  I found a 1943 Disston Tool machete at a flea market in Philadelphia.  The flea market was 6 blocks away from where the Disston factory was located during WWII.

Home town finds are pretty special, Congratulations on finding them.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks for the additional comments folks. We have a couple of other items from the Jay Garment Co., a couple wartime company newsletters, one mentions a former female employee who was serving in the Marines. And at a local auction, I found a single 13 star metal button in a button jar, the button was never used and the wife of the household had worked at the company during WW II. I read once that it was a conscious decision by the War Department to allow makers to put their company name on items to show military users who made the things they were issued. I do find it interesting where the militaria I purchase was actually produced. But, sometimes what you find as an maker location, is just where the company headquarters is located, not the physical location of the plant.

Great input, Thanks!

BKW

I found a WWII bandage made in my hometown of Greenville, SC.  Never knew they made them there.  Now, whenever I see a bandage for sale, I check to see where it was made.  I have found 5 or 6 so far and if the price is right, I buy them.

Mike B. in 'Bama