Post WWII use of M-1936 bag?

Chindit

Hello,

I was just curious if the M-1936 Bag (ie Musette bag) was issued after WWII.

Any signs of it being used--officially or unofficially--during the Korean War?

(don't think I've ever seen this discussed).

Thanks guys.

huntssurplus

Hello,

While I can't give you a definitive answer, I would say that they were probably used, albeit in a limited capacity. The M44/45 pack had already been in full scale production by the time the Korean War rolled around thus it seems unlikely it would have seen any extensive use, but I'm sure a few slipped in here and there, especially for officers with the GP strap using it as a shoulder bag.

Hunt

Anecdotally, the US Artillery museum is using several in their KW diorama. It was an issue bag, not too old at the time. I’m betting it saw use.

I’ve used one. And I’ve seen pretty prevalent use of WWII personal items into VN (and have limited evidence of WWII items issued or on supply rooms into the 80’s and 90’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Lsparks, that really is interesting. Looks pretty presuasive as to the issue of use.  Thanks!

He looks like a civilian photographer or reporter.  He has the US in the Triangle patch that is worn by US civilians.  I used a 1945 dated musette bag in the early 80s for carrying training aids and books when I was an instructor at Parris Island.

MCUS1018-2.jpg

I use Musettes in civilian life still. They make great gun show bags. I used them often in uniform (2002-2019) as well. The last picture taken of me in uniform I’m carrying a really nice WWII map case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntssurplus

Interesting, were they an issue item when you were in uniform, or a private purchase/personal choice item?

Hunt

Full description reads:

"Soldiers of the 1st of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR) Blue Devils, out of Solerno, Afghanistan, wait to be extracted after conducting searches for suspected Taliban and weapons of a compound in the City of Naray, during Operation Devil Shock on Jan. 24, 2003. The operation is to prevent the re-emergence of terrorist activates in Afghanistan. The 1st of the 504th PIR Blue Devils are attached to HHC 1st Brigade 82nd Airborne Division Kandahar Army Airfield, Afghanistan.  (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Preston Cheeks) (Released)"

It is cut from this picure, the man should be an embedded photographer. It has a private purchase armor and the Badge on the shoulder is misplaced as it should be on the chest.

Cattura.JPG

I saw lots of non issued private purchase M56 buttpacks and canvas map cases used back in the late 1980s. Many also liked the older H suspenders too. MOLLE changed all that. 

I thought I had remembered the M1936 bag from my dad's pictures. This is his "junk on the bunk" picture from Korea in 1954. He was Air Force so that explains some of it but it wasn't the M36. The pack is the M1944 Cargo pack (unmodified) and the suspenders are the improved M1936 late was issue. He was armed with an M1 Carbine and by the looks of it a "stock" pouch.

Tim

junk.jpg