It stands for ARMY SCRIPTURE READERS.  This should be a start for you.  I saw a badge that sold for 70 dollars back around 2013.  British? 

donation2017.gif
donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I almost always have military items online. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

MY eBay LINK BELOW

EBAY AUCTION LINK

Looking to learn here, as this totally new to me. I see a US Merchant Marine officer's hat badge, with the center anchor apparently removed and replaced with the brass letters, ASR.  

So, these "Army Scripture Readers" wore this badge?  It's British???  Any photos of it in use?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I just googled Army Scripture Readers and after reading about them I find it hard to believe that is their insignia. Why would a British civilian charity servicing the British Army wear what is basically the Merchant Marine insignia? From what I read they wear the letters ASR in a wreath. I think it is more likely this is a Merchant Marine hat and ASR are the initials of the shipping company that wore it.    

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Found this but there was no description with the image.  Notice the pin in the center.  Anchor with ASR.  All the surrounding pins are UK related.  The mystery deepens. 

asr.jpg

donation2017.gif

MY eBay LINK BELOW

EBAY AUCTION LINK

US Merchant Marine, probably Army Transportation Service. Not a British badge.

Wharf

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

US Merchant Marine, probably Army Transportation Service. Not a British badge.

How does that equate to ASR ?  

donation2017.gif

MY eBay LINK BELOW

EBAY AUCTION LINK

39 minutes ago, mds308 said:

How does that equate to ASR ?  

Don't Know what ASR is but this is a US Merchant Marine Officer's Cap badge and cap.  The US Merchant Marine provided

crews for US Army Transport ships and this is probably what it is.  The ASR badge in the British mixed lot above is a US Navy CPO badge

with ASR added.   Army Shipping Reserve ? Perhaps a shipping company.

W

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

• 4 months later...

During the war there was the practice of mariners removing the anchor from their USMS cap badges and replacing them with that of their shipping line.  It was a way to show both with whom they were employed and their membership in the United States Martime Service.  This occured from 1944 to around 1946.  This died out after USMS tried to expand into a something it was not.

I have not been able to locate a deep-sea company with the initials A.S.R., but I uncover new companies from time to time.  That said, If the letters are soldered on the cap badge, then it probably is a fantasy - if they are affixed with a nut, then it is probably real. Remove the badge from the cap; if it has any IOH codes, then it is long post-war and weird.