656th Tank Destroyer Battalion

muddyboots

I picked these up years ago and knew he was in a Tank Destroyer Battalion but I couldn’t narrow it down. A couple of days ago I found his obituary and at the bottom it says 656th Tank. I started looking around and found the 656th Tank Destroyer Battalion web page with a good bit of personnel information. He is listed in the Good Conduct Medal Authorization listing for March 1944 in the Reconnaissance Co. but is not pictured in the Unit History and Yearbook.  History covers April 3, 1943 - November 15, 1944. When I looked at the platoon photos the 2nd platoon is short a couple of guys so I’m assuming he’s part of the 2nd platoon and didn’t get his picture taken for some reason. The 656th seen several months of combat and accompanied armored infantry and infantry regiments through Germany to secure towns and cities as they moved along. 

CB64E40D-F477-47FB-A127-B871781D4F56.jpeg

9B199333-80FE-48E9-8614-07BC24DC8AE4.jpeg

2 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

Love the NOK tags. Nice set from an little less known branch. Great you found more info.

BKW

Thanks for your response and I did a bunch of research on them when I first got them but nothing would turn up and so many years later more information is loaded and makes it possible to bring history to life. I also find the late war information very interesting because of the way our opponent maneuvered there military too try and slow us .., it even gets to the point of a few to stop a battalion.  

• 7 months later...

I don’t know how I overlooked this... but I found his Platoon picture with him in it. I must have been looking at the screen to long or something.

E597033B-90DA-4F69-8929-137535022F23.png

C172BA17-5F1F-4AA0-9544-54FE193F6623.jpeg

• 3 months later...