Remembering Bobgee

devildog34

It is with a very heavy heart that I inform everyone that our beloved friend Bob Gill passed away Monday June 8th.  Bob was a retired Marine Corps Major, beloved father and grandfather, and a dear friend to many of us.  Those of us who knew Bob as a collector certainly knew how much research and experience he brought to the general collecting community.  He was passionate, thorough, and loved the comradery of this forum and of the collecting community in general.  Bob was as sharp and calculated with the spoken word as he was with his research.  Those who knew Bob through this forum quickly realized that his posts provided an immensity of detail from an unprecedented and eclectic array of research.  Those who personally knew Bob will remember his brusque humor, tales of collecting acquisitions from back in the day, as well as his memorable and hilarious Bob Gill ‘one liners’ (Lord willin’ and the creek don’t rise).  We also remember how much he loved to interact with countless friends and acquaintances at events like SOS and OMSA.  Bob’s friendships among collectors were not adherent to any cliques or factions and he was respected because of that.  For many of us, he was a reliable and receptive sounding board for collecting.  He was never shy about giving his valued opinions or advice (“Just my two cents kid.”)  He was a faithful ‘temporary custodian,’ for those whose stories of bravery and sacrifice were dutifully resurrected through his compassion, commitment, and diligence in detailing their legacy.  As one man, whose brother’s medals Bob had found and cared for, once told him, “Because of you, the memory of my brother with endure.”  That statement perfectly captures the passion Bob had and epitomizes why he was such a committed collector and historian.  It also speaks volumes about who Bob Gill was as a Marine and person.  Because Bob touched so many of our lives for so many years, his memory will always endure.  Lord knows there is a massive void in the hearts of his friends who feel the heartbreaking weight of his absence, but I can say he was as stoic in his departure as he was with everything he did.  There is no doubt that heaven’s scenes are much livelier now and in good hands tonight with one more Marine now on duty.  God Bless you Bobby Gill, we love you and will never forget you.  Semper Fidelis

huntssurplus

RIP...

I didn't know Bob in person, but I always recognized and respected his posts here on the forum and the advice and information he gave. He will be greatly missed. 

My condolences to all his friends and family.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=robert-gill&pid=196323438&fhid=31938

everforward

Oh no..! So sad to hear this news. He was a huge asset here on the Forum, active and enthusiastic....I will definitely miss his contributions. Prayers to his family thru all of their trials. Big loss for the USMF. :( 

Kevin thank you for such a moving tribute to Bob. A part from his family, I don't think there is anyone else that could have been entrusted to telling our Community of who Bob really was, and what he meant to so many of us. I know how much your friendship meant to him. As a collector, he was a inspiration, always willing to share his knowledge. But know him long enough, and he became a real friend willing to listen and share his advice about life's ups and downs, aging, tennagers, marriage, politics. I found over time what he said in those arenas as enduring as his collecting guidance. I am going to miss his regular phone greeting "hello Kid, what do you say, what do you know...". 

This one's a punch in the gut during an already rough 2020.

I have  long held that collectors of named items better be willing to put the time and effort into researching them, otherwise they are not really custodians of history, but tourists. And something worth doing is worth doing right-it's not enough to gather a few interesting snippets-not when there's a story to tell. And there's always a story to tell. Bob loved finding and telling those stories. Not only did he have many historically exciting items, but he spent the time and effort to not only discover the stories, but to assemble them in depth and share them with the world. He was a true historian-collector, and was a major influence in the way many of us Marine Corps collectors approach the hobby.

But, to me, the memory that says the most about Bob is not any of the items he owned or the histories he told. I never explicitly posted any of my promotions on the forum, just updated my signature block over the years. My signature text is neither big nor bold. Somehow...EVERY SINGLE TIME...Bob was the first to notice this and congratulate me. 12 years, 4 ranks, and he was first to them all. That says a lot about Bob...his attention to detail, his enthusiasm for the organization that he himself served in starting so long ago, and his equal respect towards all people regardless of their role in life...Bob epitomized our institutions core values and our mantra of "once a Marine, always a Marine".

I can only hope that Bob and Gary are up there tying one on together and swapping sea stories between their shifts on post.

I have had so many contacts with Bob and some good memories over the years. All I can say is: God speed Bob, you will be missed.

This one's a punch in the gut during an already rough 2020.

Brig said that right.  Bob was an incredible gentleman.  He was also generous with his time and knowledge, I learned a lot from him.  This is a terrible loss and I will miss seeing him here.  

Semper Fi  Marine.

I’m shocked to hear of Bob’s passing, although I didn’t know him personally he’s been a part of my daily visits to the forum for so long that I feel I did know him. RIP Bobgee. 😔

Rakkasan187

Very sorry to hear of this loss..

Bob's posts are very informative and I enjoy reading the personal stories of the artifacts he researched and presented to us all..

His legacy will continue in the posts and topics he created...

Condolences to the family 

Leigh

I met Bob at the 1992 OMSA Convention - I tried to strike up conversation but he ignored me - Until Jeff Floyd (OMSA President) during the banquet which commented the 50th Anniversary of the Marines Landing on Guadalcanal asked the all former Marines stand up - I did - later Bob said to me "I didn't know you were a Marine"!! - After that we became good friends both in person and on the forum - I saw him last at the Jacksonville OMSA Convention - That Convention was the last one I attended and a few of the friends I made in OMSA it was the last time I saw them like Mel Mueller, Bob, and others.

Enjoy the company of your Friends - It does not last forever

RIP Bob

Bill

doinworkinvans

RIP Bob - a staple here for so, so many years.  So smart - so knowledgeable.  May he rest in peace and his family be comforted.

Kurt Barickman

Wow, shocking news. Can´t add much more to what others have said. A very good man who was willing to talk about collecting and life in general. Last time I met with Bob at OMSA in Milwaukee. Sorry for his family and the collecting community and in particular Kevin because I knew you were good neighbors and friends.

Kurt

This is crushing news. I was just thinking of him a couple of days ago. He was a true gentleman and a collector's collector. Bob will be sorely missed. My condolences to his friends and family.

Allan

suwanneetrader

So Sorry to hear, a very nice gentleman and a Marine.  Back in Mar. of 2013 we were talking regarding a WWI Marine from near my Ky family as Bob had his Medals and I had his 1911 Colt 45.  We were talking fairly light-heartly and joking which of us would go to that last big show first (we were the same age).  He was very helpful and so knowledgeable.   He will be missed as he helped make this Forum the good place.  Rest in Peace with your fellow Marines.   Bless your Family.  Richard

Sorry to hear this stunning news not only for his family and friends but the collecting world has lost a very knowledgeable and passionate friend and fellow collector.

normaninvasion

Very sorry to hear this. I only knew Bob from the Forum but have personally enjoyed and learned from his posts since 2008. His threads were of the highest quality. I was always amazed by the items and research that was in his care. The Hang Chow Houseboat thread will always be a favorite, I manage to revist it every year. Thanks Bob for all that you shared with us on the Forum, you will be missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

I knew Bob from some of the Texas shows and hanging out at the Fort Worth Military Museum. Bob was a fixture there, he always had lots of stories to share. One of my last trips to the museum before heading back to Carolina. Simper Fi Rest in Peace Bob! 

IMG_9429.JPG

Wow! So sorry to hear this news! I have emailed Bob over the years on here, and he was always one of my favorite people to see on here! Actually, only about three weeks ago we were emailing and he sent me the nicest surprise present of an AMC patch he stumbled on in a box! 

So very sorry to hear of his passing. He was a super gentleman! Praying God is right there with his family through the loss.

If anyone can give me an address for his family (or will let me mail them a card to pass on to the family, I'd love to send a card!