Interesting Aircrew Coat

AKC123

Just got this 82nd patches pilots aircrew coat. Wears a combat patch of the 1AD. Interestingly the warrant officer eagle branch insignia is sewn to the underside of the collar on the reverse side of the aviation branch insignia. Anyone seen this before? Also does anyone know what patch this Velcro portion above the name tape corresponds with? And I found this little D-ring in the pocket. Anyone recognize it? Or is it just something that found it’s way in there?  Thanks 

FEB160DB-9BDB-4F4D-850D-0AAEF65587F3.jpeg

AA066130-C4A1-42B3-9813-E754D53E430B.jpeg

17457421-A493-4FFC-AFEF-99DB498054B6.jpeg

1F36DFB1-F256-43D4-A878-5A1528EF530A.jpeg

06BA05B6-CD94-40E9-A816-DD520E293E67.jpeg

BA4795DF-F0FB-4AD4-8568-28E028DA26AE.jpeg

Not sure on the WO eagle, it might have been like a historical linage thing to keep on the uniform but hidden.  Warrant Officer pride perhaps?  I forget which year they stopped using the WO eagle for the Aviation branch insignia.   The velco could be from a Company patch of an Apache unit.   Check out the various Co/Bn/Regt patches used by the 82d.

Maybe it was a variation of the 1st Battalion (Attack), 82nd Aviation Regiment "Wolfpack" patch, here with swallowtailed scroll edges?

phprLIVF6PM.jpg

3402.jpg

Jim McCauley

The W.O. insignia under the collar is a fairly common thing. It is a unofficial nod to Warrant Officer pride and heritage.

Thanks for the replies. Cool I assumed the reason was something along those lines. Yea that patch looks pretty close so maybe it was some variation like you say. Thanks everyone 

The Rising Eagle under the collar was a very common thing when the Army did away with the Branch. I believe that was in 2005 when that happened.

Spathologist

Rebellion!  Mutiny!  😂  I think the official rollover was in July 2004.  Coincided with the new CW5 insignia.

There are warrants that still have hurt feelings over that.  I'm not one.

Spathologist
On 6/13/2020 at 9:54 PM, patches said:

Maybe it was a variation of the 1st Battalion (Attack), 82nd Aviation Regiment "Wolfpack" patch, here with swallowtailed scroll edges?

phprLIVF6PM.jpg

3402.jpg

Excellent guess!

22 minutes ago, Varangian said:

Rebellion!  Mutiny!  😂  I think the official rollover was in July 2004.  Coincided with the new CW5 insignia.

There are warrants that still have hurt feelings over that.  I'm not one.

Did you want to look like a 1LT with the shinny CW5 bar and Aviation branch insignia! haha

Found this patch too, might be a closer match:

A3-82Avn.jpg

Spathologist
10 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Did you want to look like a 1LT with the shinny CW5 bar and Aviation branch insignia! haha

Found this patch too, might be a closer match:

A3-82Avn.jpg

Gregg was an Apaché pilot, so the Wolfpack patch is more likely (if this belonged to who I think it did...)

And I was either an embedded field advisor in Latin America or Air Cavalry between 2004-2013, so I never wore the Aviation brass...and yes, I did so very much enjoy wearing the crossed sabers!

8 hours ago, Varangian said:

Gregg was an Apaché pilot, so the Wolfpack patch is more likely (if this belonged to who I think it did...)

And I was either an embedded field advisor in Latin America or Air Cavalry between 2004-2013, so I never wore the Aviation brass...and yes, I did so very much enjoy wearing the crossed sabers!

Wow thanks for all the information everyone. That’s pretty awesome if you think you actually know the guy who this belonged to. Definitely one of my favorite pieces I’ve gotten recently.