Pieces coming to auction

akriener

The Rooster

Notable mention #1

Here are a few things Ive learned about helmets from studying the comments and posts.

Im not an expert by any means so the experts can check me on this. I think its a fake.

Reasons are the uniform similar scratches and aging on the markings. Like they were purposely not naturally done.

Chin Strap doesnt look right etc etc etc.

And as Ive read on the forum several times, Schlueter never made D bail Airborne Helmets.

They were all McCord.

I think its a fake.

34.jpg

55.jpg

35.jpg

33.jpg

28.jpg

26.jpg

I haven't looked at any of these in detail. Just got the alert and wanted to share so people can make their own judgements!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntssurplus

The chinstrap color is totally off. I've seen similar colored chin straps that are fake. 

Hunt

The helmet with a painted White DIAMOND on the back is not a 5th ID marking, IMHO.  A number of helmet shells popped up 6-7 years ago with this very same rear painted diamond and attributed to "Co E, 31st INF" due to a stamp on the inside shell.  If I recall, they purportedly ??? were a late war/occupational issue to the 31st Infantry REGIMENT upon/after MacArthur's return in the Philippines.  

ArchangelDM

Fake 

paint is incorrect, chinstraps are reproductions 

re-enactments Lid 

real is real, not real is not real 

huntssurplus

Would need to see in hand, But I don't think it's bad. Looks like the Co. E, 31st Infantry Helmets mentioned. Meaning that the markings is actually tape residue and not paint.

Hunt

That helmet looks fine. As huntssurplus just showed, I used to own one of them back in my early collecting stages. What you see in the auction is residue of the tape used to make the marking.

Burning Hazard

The M2 is bad; the dead giveaway is the wrong feet on the loops and repro chinstraps with incorrect snaps.

The 7th div helmet is good, I remember not long a go a batch of them was found in very good condition and were sold on M1 Helmet Depot. 

Pat