Camo painted WW2 cartridge belt use

skinsfan

HelloI have to apologize as I think I posted this under the wrong section before(pinned threads)I have a couple of ww2 era 1923 cartridge belts that are nicely painted from back in the day....My question is, Did one branch of service use this practice more than another....I have recently viewed a lot of original ww2 color film and happened to catch Marines wearing what appeared to be field modified gear such as this and it got me to wondering...One of mine is a Boyt which in my personal collecting,have found to be the more common maker of USMC gear(which may mean nothing)....anyway I took some pics below...Thanks to all...Scott....someone did point out that the one belt is in fact a British made piece which makes it all the better as I did not previously own one....

DSCN6708.JPG

DSCN6710.JPG

DSCN6711.JPG

DSCN6712.JPG

DSCN6713.JPG

Top one looks vat dyed to darken it, bottom looks painted. I am aware there was some effort to dye lighter ones a darker color as the war progressed but not sure at what level it occurred. 
The bottom one looks user painted to darken it. Painting seems to be more user and small unit specific to meet local conditions. 

• 1 month later...
Schnicklfritz

The Boyt 42 belt looks like it was dyed with the dye used later in the war to dye the white USMC tee shirts to that aqua green color. I remember a packet of the dye came out of a Marine's estate not too long ago. The other belt is a British made belt and was with me at one point and came out of an estate out west if I remember right. 

• 2 years later...