Montana ANG F-106 HGU-26/P visor cover

viking73

Hi Gents,

Check out this visor cover I just received in the mail, all the way from the U.K.   It was posted on the F-106 Facebook Group by a gentleman looking to confirm its I.D.  It was apparently in with a bunch of HGU-26 spares and the owner had no use for it.  Once I learned it was for sale, I jumped on it :)  Fast forward two weeks and it's now here in my collection, back in the U.S.A.

On the F-106 Facebook Group, a great photo was posted by a Mr. Art Compton leaving no doubt as to what unit this visor cover was from.  This was his comment there: "Our 186th [FIS] patch featured the copyrighted image of Rick O’ Shay, by cartoonist Stan Lynde, who was born and died in Montana. His family member, Matt Lynde, was one of our pilots."

I do have a plain white HGU-26 that I need to put this visor cover on.  Perhaps I should also try and recreate the inverted "T" on the backside with reflective tape and dark blue vinyl tape?  Is this type of reflective tape still out there?  Surely blue vinyl tape would be easy to source but it might be tricky to match up...

-Derek

IMG_6600-MT ANG Cover-crop.jpg

IMG_6599_MT ANG DRIVER-CROP.jpg

majormadmax

That is extremely sweet, and I'm glad it was "reliberated" back to the US!

I think it would be great if you attached it to a HGU-26/P and added the stripe.  The only concern would be someone down the road may believe the entire helmet to be authentic and not just the visor.

As for sourcing the tape, that will be your biggest challenge.  I wish I could help, but I have no idea where to score it.  If you can, I would ask on the Facebook page for this forum, it seems to get more attention and quicker responses...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/346212962178612/

Please keep us update with pictures of its progress!

I dont know if any rolls would still be around with the NSN, but I believe the HGU-26 TO lists the rolls of reflective tape for marking helmets like that from the 70s.