WWII USMC boot camp photo - no insignia

themick

Fellow USMC collectors - we've all seen many boot camp platoon photos.  This, however, is the first one I've ever seen where, except for the two NCO's, none of the men are wearing insignia or belts on their greens, neither on the blouse nor on the overseas hat  Nor do they have rifles.  .  This is a very unusual picture, so far as I am aware.  They must be brand new.  It's on Ebay now, and has been for some time because, I think, of the price.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-USMC-818th-Platoon-San-Diego-California-Photograph-Marine-Corps/383552917809

Steve

bootcamp pix - no insignia.jpg

cropped2bootcamp.jpg

olivedrab1970

I agree, the photo may have been taken early in the training, who knows how chaotic 1942 must have been with supplies from manufacturers at this time.

Robin-

When I was at P.I. for basic training in 1983,  we were not given our EGA's for our Alpha's until we were forming up across the street from the parade deck right before graduation.  We were hurrying to get them on before we marched across the street. 

I can imagine things were much crazier in 1942.

olivedrab1970
2 minutes ago, M422A1 said:

When I was at P.I. for basic training in 1983,  we were not given our EGA's for our Alpha's until we were forming up across the street from the parade deck right before graduation.  We were hurrying to get them on before we marched across the street. 

I can imagine things were much crazier in 1942.

We where not given EGA's until we where assembled on the side street at MCRD SD getting ready to graduate. I agree it must have been crazy back then with all the platoons on the depots. MCRD SD 2nd Recruit Training Battalion, Bravo Co. Platoon 1077 02/02/1995

Robin-