Kraut killer Dog Tag

WwiiVet

Goodday guys :)

I've posted this dog tag before when it arrived but wanted to post it again since ive gathered some more information. It shows alot of wear it looks salty, rusty. But ofcourse we'll never know if the soldier wore it in combat or not.

This soldier served in the 88th division, 349th Infantry Regiment, K Company as a SSGT. The 349th regiment began its combat in the Minturno sector which was part of the Gustav line. relieving elements of the British 5th Division, and soon began aggressive patrolling operations against the Wehrmacht. To fool any enemy observers, the American soldiers wore British helmets while the switch took place. The ruse worked, and the relief went smoothly. Manning the right flank, the 349th engaged in numerous combat, reconnaissance, and "prisoner-snatch" patrols that often resulted in sharp confrontations. Stanley got wounded in April 1944 when a bullet went in his buttock and hip he got discharged in may and went back to the frontlines. In June 1944 he got injured in the face and his hands were also burnt. During that time the 349th Regiment was fighting in the hills that were part of the battle of Anzio because of white phosphorus I cant explain how it happened but maybe his weapon failed or something close to that. In September 1944, the 88th Infantry Division used the 349th Infantry Regiment as a rapid column to spearhead the drive north to Bologna. The 349th cleared out the town of Belvedere after a fierce firefight, and by 2 October, controlled a ridgeline that overlooked the German positions. Stanley got wounded again in October 1944 by Artillery fragments that went through his arm.

Stanley was awarded: 2 purple heart medal and a bronze star medal ( I didnt find the citation yet )

Fun fact: The first person to earn a Distinguished service cross in the 349th regiment during WWII was 2LT John A. Liebenstein. He was killed on April 11, 1944 and in the same company as Stanley. I wonder if these two guys knew eachother or maybe were in the same platoon.

20200611_230515_50_Easy-Resize.com-1.jpg