Grandfather's stuff

skohler

Hey all, first post outside of the new member forum. I came across this site because I was looking for a source of info on some field equipment I have. Most of what I have came from my grandfather (all that is listed here came from him). He left the army 12/1945 and brought back quite a bit of stuff. Enlisted in the regular army 3/1941 for the quartermaster corp and left as a captain in the army transportation corps. After he passed in 2003, my grandmother started to ask within the family if anyone was interested in some of his stuff, I would like to think I was the most enthusiastic, realistically I was probably the only one. Anyway, here is a list and pic of the stuff. There are a couple other items that were not pictured that I will post later on.

2 US marked belts, RMCO 1942 and Froehlich Co. 1942

Dehner's OMAHA Sam Browne belt

3 2-tone mags marked A, B, L on the toe, all pinned base

a few carbine mags new in wrap

Garand bayonet UFH US

Carlisle pouch JQMD 1944

Leather holster stamped BOYT E.T.C. on the back

suspenders U.S. S. Froehlich Co 1941

1911 mag pouch R.H. Long 11-18

Helmet- unmarked, liner marked VF (I'll have to look close for a stamp- see I already learned something from this website!)

Eyeshield M1

boot cover Hasco Awnings, INC 4-9-41

Musette bag Ken-Wel 1941

meatcan U.S. E.A. Co 1943

canteen cover Nu-mode inc 1943

canteen U.S. R.S.E. 1943

cup U.S. I (in a circle and diamond) 1942

gas mask bag Army lightweight service mask, US

gas mask- gas mask, canister, tubing, small canister with cloth in it

blanket- unmarked, but a label was in one of the corners at one time, looks unused

4 boxes Kings Mills ordinance .30 carbine

loose PC 43 and WRA 43 carbine rounds (maybe 50 or so)

5 boxes remington arms co .45

5 boxes frankfor arsenal .45

1 box western cartridge co WCC 1068 .45

my uncle wanted some shackles that were in this pile, which was fine, but I got a brass push pin lock (no key) that my grandmother said were both used in prisoner transport. Not sure about this.

Sorry about the long list. My hope is that I might be able to identify or even learn about some of the companies that produced these items. The ones with just initials are proving difficult for me to research. Any help would be much appreciated. I would like to put together a small display with a manikin (saw a few on the display forum and they are amazing!!!).

Thanks

Steve

post-5248-1231944820.jpg

craig_pickrall

That is a great set of documented gear to actually remain in a group for all these years. Congratulations on a great collection.

all very nice and clean. the helmet looks near mint as the garand bayonet. the carbine is a real honey--- take care of that one. as for the ammo, make sure it is not corroded at the brass or primers. dont sell any of it keep it all together! thumbsup.gif

Very nice! thumbsup.gif I am glad you didnt have to wrestle anybody for it. When certain famliy types sees value attached to some items they go crazy, all in the name of trying to make a buck.

Lets have a look at that push pin lock. Dave

You are fortunate lad. A very nice grouping of family heirlooms.

I have been very lucky in what my family has passed on to me. I am the historian and genealogist, so I have a natural desire to keep certain things in the family.

The carbine is as issued from IBM (100% correct) and the 1941 colt is also 100% correct and original. The colt was stored in the holster (ugh!) with a loaded magazine full of ww2 ball ammo. Same with the other 2 magazines stored in the magazine pouch.

I also was given an overcoat with a 1942 date (some other military info- just can't remember it), a liner for some sort of jacket with real fur lining on the inside and OD green canvas on the outside(label says manufactured for the war effort by the fur industry). A 1942 winchester model 12 long barrel shotgun with a raritan arsenal stamp on the buttstock heel.

I hate having it all boxed up, but don't have the space to properly showcase it. I also have young kids that like looking and learning about it, but I don't really trust they would leave the stuff alone.

Thanks for all the comments.

Steve

FightenIrish35

Steve , this is a great collection and im glad it stayed in the family..Like others said DONT sell it this is a great piece of family history...can you take some images of that helmet!!! thumbsup.gif

Steve , this is a great collection and im glad it stayed in the family..Like others said DONT sell it this is a great piece of family history...can you take some images of that helmet!!! thumbsup.gif

No problem, what do you want a picture of exactly? Just a closer view or back/front/underside??

Here is a different, but closer view of the helmet. I'll try to take some other pics with just the helmet tonight. There are a few very small areas along the rim that have some paint missing. Everything else looks good.

post-5248-1231960521.jpg

Here are a few pics of the helmet inside and out. I did find a small stamp in the liner, looks like a small shield with a 43 beneath it.

post-5248-1231982102.jpg

post-5248-1231982118.jpg

w00t.gifw00t.gif That is one of the very best groupings I've ever seen in my life w00t.gifw00t.gif

The other guys are right on...document everything you know about your Granddad's history, and keep that outstanding stuff together!!

Last one of both together. I had the foresight to audio tape an interview before he died telling me about his childhood and war experience. I also sent away for his military records of both my grandfathers

post-5248-1231982687.jpg

The pistol belt in the post#11 is an early 1942 being the late 1942 buckle made out light alloy. The holster is from WWI era made by BOYT Harness Des Moines and e.t.c. are inspector initials.

The pistol belt in the post#11 is an early 1942 being the late 1942 buckle made out light alloy. The holster is from WWI era made by BOYT Harness Des Moines and e.t.c. are inspector initials.

Boyt did not move to DesMoines til after the war.The manufacturing facility was in Iowa Falls Iowa.A friend of mine has a relative who bought a couple of their old sewing machines after the war.One of his realatives worked for Boyt and sadly when they were moving ,dug a holetook all the "old" stuff threw it in and burned it.Today there is a large asphalt parking lot over the dump site.

RON

Here are the last few thing. First is a liner with real fur. The tag says "War Emergency Board The Fur Industry 1942 New York" Not real sure what the military designation for this is. Any thoughts on this much appreciated.

post-5248-1232211844.jpg

post-5248-1232211860.jpg

post-5248-1232211875.jpg

you are a very Lucky, Lucky man. I wish I had near as much left to me from my Grandfather. Also he passed away before I was born. Again, I think your a very lucky and blessed man.