I found this very unusual Air Gunner wing, POW?

manayunkman

manayunkman

This wing is part of a small unnamed group of a veteran who served in the European theater.

Its cast very poorly but has a pin back that looks theater made.

Ive had quite a few vet found POW wings before but only one had a pin on the back.

The catch is reminiscent of German work.

What do you think?

29E52BD3-9F22-4C13-A443-52C280CE7EB0.jpeg

1BD337FE-9EDE-48CD-96C9-04966EC13793.jpeg

4E898137-EF71-4E1D-98C3-6FA3E0FFEC36.jpeg

84B34856-2B9C-4AC9-96D9-BC0162C593A1.jpeg

3E001810-02D3-400C-871F-6CAF7795208D.jpeg

There were other places that made USAAF wings, other than the CBI.  It could have been made in South/Central America.  Many American AAF units were in Panama, for example.  We have had this conversation before on other threads.  It appears to be a lost wax casing of what looks like a Bell-made gunner wing.  I would probably see if your guy was stationed or sent to the SW USA or perhaps in Panama, etc.  Mghcal has some pretty good insight on Central/South American made wings.

That is my guess.

manayunkman

I did a search through the forum and found that the hinge is like quite a few Chinese examples but the ones I saw, the fronts were of a much better quality than mine.

These gunner wings are terribly made.

There is flashing that wasn’t filed off, a depression on the left side wing, they look lopsided and overall lack.

I’ll see if I can find out anything on Central American made wings.

Pfrost, what is MGHCAL?

Thanks to everyone for helping me get to the bottom of this.

CBI made wings run the full range of quality, from beautifully made to mediocre. 

I have a number of CBI wings that are taken from known US patterns, others unique.

Construction of the wing, the pin base which is known of Chinese types, as well the crude fashioning of the point of the pin are all typical.

John

I am not trying to quibble, but while many Chinese/Indian made wings do exhibit these fittings, it wasn't unique to the CBI.  To illustrate my point, this is a Honduran pilot wing that was probably used in the 1920's-1930's.  The Honduran Air Force was developed using American USAAC pilots and instructors, so I would assume that this was something that could have been used by an American pilot during that time period.  Note the handmade  hinge and catch.

This wing has no CBI connection, as far as I can see.  I am not making any assertions about the OP wing, but if the pilot wasn't in the CBI, then maybe the place to start look is elsewhere that his career may have taken him.

post-1519-0-07383800-1464551421.jpg

post-1519-0-41273500-1464551230.jpg

post-1519-0-69298500-1464550832-1.jpg

post-1519-0-49420800-1464551298.jpg

manayunkman

That Honduran wing is awesome.

I understand your point Pfrost and will try to find some comparable ones.

Unfortunately there is no information or name on the group this came with.

Cool wing Patrick!  Thanks for the example and new information.  That gave me an idea to share some of my theater made.  First up is a Panama theater Aircrew...Still looking for the pilot version!

20200612_204852_copy_945x315.jpg

20200612_204921_copy_945x326.jpg

Next up some more Aircrew.  The middle one is from the Chinese theater and the bottom one is a hand carved from India or China.  You can see the hinges are similar to the original wing in the thread and the Honduran wing.  I am trying to identify the top wing.  It is stamped with 800 for the silver content.  Any thoughts?  I was thinking about possible Italian theater or Egyptian?

20200612_205540_copy_945x883.jpg

20200612_205715_copy_945x1013.jpg

20200612_205626_copy_945x796.jpg

manayunkman

Tesla thank you for posting those wings.

They make a great reference.

Do you have any or know where any are that have the squared off wire catch?

It has a little square stamped into it.

All these details could all boil down to an individual in some theater who did things in their own way with what they had. 

I can’t imagine a jeweler making this.

It has to be more local than that.

manayunkman
Just now, manayunkman said:

Tesla thank you for posting those wings.

They make a great reference.

Do you have any or know where any are that have the squared off wire catch?

And it has a little square stamped into it, a makers mark?

All these details could all boil down to an individual in some theater who did things in their own way with what they had. 

I can’t imagine a jeweler making this.

It has to be more local than that.

I agree it is a local artisan made piece; I don't have any or have seen any with a catch like that.  It's very interesting and hopefully another named example will pop up or another member can identify it.