US Knife Bayonets & Scabbards: Possible Republish??

wesman5060

I originally posted this over on Gunboards but was told Id have better luck asking here:

------------------------------

Well im thinking of purchasing one of Gary Cunningham's books, US Knife Bayonets & Scabbards and was wondering if there may be any talk of a relaunch of his 2015 version of it. I know that Mr. Cunningham has unfortunately passed away but i just wanted to know if who ever now owns the copyright has any thoughts on republishing the book. Just thought id ask since i will be spending several hundred on a copy and i figured someone on here may know. I appreciate any help yall can provide. Thanks!!

wesman5060- Don't know about anyone republishing the book, but keep an eye open at gun shows, particularly the book sellers. About 2-3 years ago I saw brand new copies of the book selling for around $35 each, at a local show. You might get lucky. SKIP

Doctorofwar

It would be nice if great books like Gary’s went back into print, but it never seems to work out that way for some reason.  I was able to buy his first edition of this title new for under $20, his second edition used to be around $30 when new, now the sky is the limit on both.  You would think whomever has the rights to it would see the prices they bring on the secondary market and want a piece of the action!   

From what little I've learned about the publishing industry is that in this modern era books are printed on demand. So technically speaking, books should never go out of print like in the past. the old way was to order a bulk quantity, one shot mass printing, and that would be it. Printing technology has significantly advanced. Publishers and/or authors are no longer stuck fitting the bill and have massive out of pocket costs. As an example, if I want just 10 copies of my books, I place an order and in about 2-3 weeks they arrive fresh off the press from the printer. There is no minimum anymore. This works out great, The publisher and I will never be left with a stock pile we can't move.

In the case of Gary's book, whom ever has the digital print has either felt the demand in the market has been met and no longer feel its viable to offer prints. Another, could be marketing. Print a bunch, discontinue, and make a larger profit selling out of print copies. A longer term investment waiting for the price to jump up. Another possibility is whom they went through to publish and they didn't offer a print on demand. Perhaps if they switched publishing venues to a print on demand format they can still offer the book and not be left with with large out of pocket expenses.

Thank you very much for your responses guys! I think maybe i should take this book off my list for now

Why take it off the list? It’s an excellent book, when you find one at a good price buy it. I’m not saying to spend $300 on it or whatever they are bringing. 

I guess I better start putting my books in the safe..