Conetta M7 Bayonet Dilemma

Daytonian777

Daytonian777

I recently picked up a brand new, still factory sealed 1967 contract Conetta M7 Bayonet for a reasonable price. My quandary is to open it or not, thus ruining the mint condition of the packaging. 

I would like to open it and photograph everything for reference. I haven't found anything similar (unopened m7s) here on USMF, and I think that it would be worth posting the pictures, thus contributing to the collective knowledge. Will this affect the value down the road, or would it not if I kept the carton with the bayonet? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!  

Conetta M7.jpg

I'd recommend not opening it.  It's not like Conetta M7 bayonets and their scabbards are rare; and they are noted in the books.

Tough decision! I have a mint PAL M1 bayonet repacked in 1953, that I have never opened, (the seller just sliced away enough wrapper to read maker stamp)along with a 1954 mint in the original wrapper Victory Plastics M7 scabbard. The scabbard was opened in front of me when I bought it, because the dealer was afraid it could have been cracked. It wasn't. I keep these in the wrappers for a very rainy day, to boost my morale when opened. Fortunately have yet to open them. I agree, keep it in the original package, as thorin6 stated, they're not rare, but have increased in value over the years. The final decision is up to you.  SKIP

This question reminds my of the "thought experiment" called Schrodinger's Cat. You can't know for sure what condition the bayonet is in until you open the package.  That said, I don't see how that will help you decide on what to do. Sorry, but I also have my own experience with the problem you're having.

huntssurplus

That's cool! I must say I don't think you should open it, but at the same time I can empathize with wanting too! I'd say save and keep it unopened unless you really decide to open it. If you leave it unopened, you can always open it in the future if you decide too, but if you open it, you can never make it "unopened" again! 

Hunt

I guess if you collect boxes that would be desirable. If you collect bayonets, not so much.

Steve

Interesting. I can relate to a story about two British Enfields, boxed, wrapped up in what looked to be cosmoline soaked cloth. They were supposedly British Arsenal ( or Austrailian) overhauled in 1945, then put away and then sold off around 2000-2005.The gunshop owner had them proudly displayed, looked like a long greasy sticky rag with a price of $1700 on them. Last I saw a few months ago and they are still there, price now down to about $1000. I asked him what the deal was, he replied how extremely rare they are in this condition, "one of a kind", they are this rare model and that, and he has had numerous interested parties wanting to buy. I told him if he unwrapped one and cleaned off some cosmoline he might sell them. He said if he unwrapped them they wouldn't be so rare! Twenty years sitting in wraps  on the top shelf, doesn't make much sense to me. In my way of thinking, you also have a " one of a kind". 

I think you can have your cake and eat it too. In your case, having an M7 bayonet that is in the box, never opened,  is great...... but it doesn't really hold any surprises. You know what's inside.  If it were a leather handled M4, that would be different.  Is the leather intact, or rotten. Does it have a special mark, as an Imperial might have, (Hemphill or Standard Products).  The only variation with the Conetta M7 is whether it has the earlier neatly done pommel peen, or a typical M7 peen. Either way, the value is not effected much, if at all.  So, you can leave it alone and enjoy the mystic of having an unopened box.

What I would do, (of course it's your decision) is to use a razor blade knife and carefully and neatly cut the plastic and then the cardboard box. Open it up and gently unpack it, photograph it and place it back in the box, making sure you do not tear any of the paper or foil wrapping.  That way,  you can have the bayonet, with all the wrapping,  and the original box!  AND  no one would question whether it is all original, or not,  because of the care that was taken to preserve the contents.

Here's a link to an M4 bayonet in its original box that I posted not long ago.   Look at the pictures. The box was carefully opened when I bought it and I'm glad.  Would you rather have a great display like this, or should I have left it all in the green box, unopened?  https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/341738-camillus-m4-1953-contract-new-in-boxes-yeah-two/

Just an option for your consideration.

Marv

I once read a reply, made to a chap who had a similar dilemma with a "mint" firearm. It said, Not shooting it was like not having sex with your girlfriend so as to save her for her next boyfriend.

leave it------------- we know what these bayo's look like. you don't have to ruin a mint item to show us a surprise unwrapped!

Daytonian777

Thank you everyone for the wealth of advice and input! 👍

After much deliberation, I've decided to pick up another M7 and leave the Conetta in the package. An issued one may be more visually appealing for display on a (Cold War militaria) wall, as opposed to a mint condition example. 

Once again, much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...