I.D.Disc G.L.Brown Co.I 12th N.H.V.I. K.I.A.

skypilot6670

9CB1FD6F-B159-41C8-8D72-B3B14EE7F36C.jpeg.cc6de79e129af1fee98086f83dad6b69.jpegC6D700CF-6C7B-42F1-89AC-F89B3CA89B15.jpeg.9912040581360c0085522c864adf4684.jpegD19E2A6D-E8ED-483F-95F0-50D0C2FFEA12.jpeg.3b6f4b4688dd0245ab6a813cdd5c83cf.jpeg

George Brown was a 24 year old farmer 5’ 7” tall with fair completion ,blue eyes and dark hair from New Hampton N.H. .He mustered in at Concord N.H. on 9 Sept. 1862 in Co. I 12th New Hampshire. He received a $25.00 Bounty and $13.00 advance pay. The 12th got to Falmouth Va. in time to participate in the battle of Fredericksburg loosing 6 men wounded. Their next action was Burnsides Mud-march suffering with the army but loosing no men. Then for George Brown came the battle of Chancellorsville.

Old Dan Sickles 3rd Corps commander seeing Stonewall Jackson’s ammunition train crossing his front and believing it was a retreat asked Gen.Hooker if he could advance and attack the retreating southerners. Gen. Hooker consented. Old Dan Sickles advanced and reported he was “Smashing them magnificently” and in fact he was taking prisoners and holding Hazel Grove ,the high ground in his immediate front. 
   Then General Jackson’s smash at the union 11th Corps and General Lees advance at the right center sent three lines of battle in on Gen. Sickles position .Sickles finally realizing he was not hitting a retreating enemy but was being hit on two sides began to pull back. Hazel Grove was left unoccupied an error Jeb Stuart quickly took advantage of posting artillery there that could do great harm to the federal advance and original line. 
    Sometime during the retreat A gap developed in the line and the 12th New Hampshire was sent forward and told to hold a piece of high ground to aid the third Corps in getting back to its original line. The 12th took 550 men into there first fight holding to it “Indian Style “ fighting behind trees , brush and anything else that would give cover. After an hour or so the 50 men that survived  came out thru a rivene. Just as a Union Battery was going to shell them Gen.Sickles saw them and hollered “Hold on those are my men.”He rode up to the group and demanded ,”What Regiment is this , and where is the rest of it”  proudly a second lieutenant answered “ Twelfth New Hampshire and here’s what’s left of it “

George Brown was shot thru the left lung On May 3rd and died on May 22 , 1863 at Union Square Hospital Washington D.C. he was buried on May 31st. Rest In Peace Soldier. 

USCapturephotos

Wow. Another super piece! I thought of you today. Did you see the new North South Trader Magazine recently came out? It has a good article on inscribed corps badges.

Paul

skypilot6670

Hey Paul. As we discussed in messenger I did when I got my copy. As I said , I wrote the article. There are a few changes I can see now I wish I had made but overall I think it’s a good article.  As always.  Thank you very much Mike

M24 Chaffee

Nice badge, presentation and interesting history! I’ll look to read your article!

Frank

wartimecollectables.com
On 6/12/2020 at 1:11 PM, skypilot6670 said:

Hey Paul. As we discussed in messenger I did when I got my copy. As I said , I wrote the article. There are a few changes I can see now I wish I had made but overall I think it’s a good article.  As always.  Thank you very much Mike

An excellent write up on the corps badges!