Bomb bay area on bombers

cutiger83

I have been searching but so far no luck finding an answer to my question so I thought I would ask on here. I am specifically looking for a B-25 but I assume all bombers would be the same.

Were the bomb bay areas in bombers painted a certain color? Were they primed with a silver/ grey color to protect them? Were they painted the same color green as the outside? Did it vary depending on the theatre? 

With most pictures from WWII being black and white, it is hard to tell. 

Thanks in advance for any help...Kat

4 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

See source here:  Interior of the bomb bay and bay doors was painted in Aluminium lacquer.

Scroll down to North American B-25 Mitchell

Camouflage & Markings
Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45
Part II

Salvage Sailor,

Thanks so much for your help! It is greatly appreciated!

...Kat

Salvage Sailor
16 minutes ago, m1ashooter said:

Great reference source.  Thanks

Yep,

A very thorough and detailed set of articles.  Troll through all three parts if you have an interest in USAAF & USN factory paint schemes for either research or modeling.  Part I is especially interesting as it details the type and mixture of the paints and finishes.

Part I - This is the first part of the three-part feature covering the finishes and colours used for the interiors of American-produced aircraft of the World War II era.

Part II -  In  part two we will cover interiour finishes of the US Army Air Corps / Air Force types. This part gives general information on the development and the variety of finishes used.

Part III -  Part three will be devoted to Navy aircraft types.

As that article states the time frame the bomber was made or how long it was in service plays a part it the color. A WW2 era B-25 D crash site I went to had indications it was zinc chromate bomb bay . A post war B-25 crash site I went to had indications it was a very light grey in color. That B-25 was in a recon configuration and that light grey Bombay probably reflected light better in low light conditions or at night.