Maj. Lashbrook 100th BG WWII/Post-war Grouping

JSkaggs29

Hello all!

Today I’m showing my grouping that belonged to Maj. Glenn M. Lashbrook of Santa Ana, California. While living in Galesburg, Illinois, Lashbrook joined up to serve his country on March 27, 1942, at Camp Grant. Lashbrook graduated Class of 43-9 from the navigators school on Mather Field AFB in California. After searching around for a spot in a crew, he was assigned to the 466th Bomb Group. There he became the navigator for LT George Ford’s crew, who were nearing the end of their second phase of training. In Lasbrook’s online diary, he mentions the “uneventful” journey to the UK. Eventually, after a great amount of traveling, on September 12, 1943, he reported to Thorpe Abbotts, home to the 100th Bomb Group.

His crew reported to the 349th Bomb Squadron. During their first mission, the crew flew as a spare on the Vannes, France raid on September 23, 1943. They weren’t able to find the rest of the group and returned to base, but still received credit for a combat mission. Lashbrook wouldn’t see his first taste of combat until the next day. On the 24th, his crew was led on a bombing training mission over the North Sea. Little did they know, they flew a little too close to the Frisian Islands, which were occupied by German forces, at the time. The group of B-17s were attacked by Me-109s and Fw-190s. They lost one fortress in the attack, losing half of the crew. The surviving crewmen were picked up by a passing-by British E-boat.

While he was with the 349th Bomb Squad, Lashbrook participated in raids over France and Germany. I believe his crew played a part in “Black Week” (Oct 8-14) because his diary goes silent for about 10 consecutive days. My guess, is because this was a really busy week for the 100th BG. After Black Week, the missions mostly consisted of pathfinder missions. On November 26, 1943, Lashbrook was transferred to the 482nd Bomb Group and placed in the 812th Bomb Squad. The same day he was transferred, the crew that replaced his was shot down. Lashbrook found himself learning the in’s and out’s of a new radar system known as the “Mickey” H2X system, while he was with the 812th Bomb Squad. After, learning the system, Lashbrook was transferred to the 95th Bomb Group on March 18, 1944. I don’t have much information on his time with the 95th BG, due to his diary going silent for the next year. His diary continues in March of 1945, when he participated in various night reconnaissance missions over Germany.

Soon after the war, Lashbrook attended UCLA and graduated in 1948 with his Bachelor of Arts degree in business. After his time in college, he continued his military service with the 303rd Air Rescue Squadron, acting as the navigator on Grumman SA-16 Albatross. He participated in various rescue missions, including a rescue mission that took place following the aftermath of an earthquake that struck Yellowstone on August 17, 1959. Lashbrook, eventually, retired as a Major.

This grouping mostly consists of post-war items, including a few wartime items.c738756fb1e6057813b1539bde7309d3.jpg

df1f8e06dbc7cddcfc6a1721445f3f57.jpg

0032e7ebd99965f6cbffeb19272a3ee8.jpeg

2d2d7eab4b34d3a2791fba3aeb9be07d.jpg

8db3b1a8e8fbd529e0fedd2920d44ea8.jpg

9e587dcb5180985158f81f92ae8092bf.jpg

bafc4dfe990839344c3fe9a07bc2ca1f.jpg

403b4d199ea1829ef403fa81d91a8070.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I usually stick to WWII uniforms, but these blues caught my attention, and the connection to the Bloody 100th was pretty cool.

Great group. Saw this one floating around on eBay, glad someone here got to it.

Thanks!

Nice grouping.  You can never go wrong with anything associated with the 100th BG. 

Thanks! Once I saw the connection to the 100th BG, I knew I had to get it.